• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

U-Brackets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AncientAviation

Greetings all...
Needing some guidance please as outside my skills with regards to Ali tubes - and Ali generally.

I have 1_1/4" tubes that need to be held with a U channel and a saddle washer....
I have 2 U channels to select from:

2″ x 1″ x 1/8″​

2.1/4″ x 1.1/4″ x 3/16″​

The plans don't specifify what material or thickness to use.
Is the top adequate? Height and wall thickness?
The higher wall height and thickness of the second one is nice - but the gap is larger than I need and will need thicker saddle washers. Also extra weight.

If I opt for the top one, there is a 1/2" (12.7mm) gap to make up.
If I opt for the bottom one, there is a 5/8" (15.9mm) gap to make up.

Saddle washers are either 5mm or 7.5mm thick... so one of each for the top one or 2x the 7.5mm for the bottom one.
I am just nervous about such a large gap / using such thick saddle and would prefer 3mm thick saddles.

Attached are two examples and a side view of what I hope to end up with...

P.S. There is one other option...

1.1/2″ x 1.1/2″ x 1/8″​

But the 1_1/4" tube will fit in snuggly with no space for a saddle washer.

My thanks...

Attachments

• U Channel 2.JPG
    U Channel 2.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
  • U Channel.JPG
    U Channel.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 0
  • B10_clawson1.jpg
    B10_clawson1.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 0
Back