• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Squaring the circle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oriol

Hi!

A paraglider is the king of STOL, so fixing a bicycle to it seems realistic for taking off and landing. This would allow for a lot of freedom, since you will not require assistance, for getting to the top of a mountain for taking off. I have been toying with this idea for quite a bit. So far, I have studied how to get by bike to different local paragliding sites, so that you can combine both modes and enjoy an amazing journey! Before attempting that, I need to do a refresh training on my paraglider, and become familiar with the different spots; to know where to land, and practicing ridge soaring cross country on those.

The issue has always been how to control the steering, and at the same time the paraglider controls? A possible solution would be to control the handlebar with the feet, and accelerate with an electric bicycle engine. The other option would be going engine free, and fixing the handlebar neutral for a short take off run.

If considering different configurations, the ideal one seem that of three wheels. because it allows you to climb a steep slope at slow speed, with the proper reduction gear, and carry the weight of a paraglider, and some stuff for camping! My last handmade recumbent is a two wheels. It is very light, I wan to add a sidecar so that I can carry a paraglider, then I will go to a field near the city and try to inflate the paraglider and see if it works?

I have stumbled to this guy who took off with a conventional bicycle. From the video it seems that the pilot picks the handlebar and the paraglider inflates by itself. The landing seems more easy, the pilot performs a conventional maneuver, and just before touching down he picks the bike handlebar.

Unless you live very close to the take off site, riding a conventional two wheel bicycle seems very demanding for a long journey, carrying a paraglider on your back.

I am looking forward to start the tests!

I am surprised that there are not more people trying this, it looks awfully fun.

Oriol

Back