• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Repairing a small crushed area of plywood leading edge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MontanaMan

I have a J3 Kitten Ultralight with wooden wings. The spars are upright boards. The main ribs and front D-Cell nose ribs are made of very thin strips of wood glued together. It's a beautiful work of art. The front D-cell is made of very thin plywood glued to the front D cell nose ribs. The plywood has been crushed in a small area ... apparently during transport. The damage is between 2 D-Cell nose ribs. The ribs are not damaged in this location.

How would you recommend fixing this? It's an area about 3.5 inches wide (along the length of the front of the wing) and about 1.5 inch tall. I don't think I can de-laminate the plywood from the d-cell nose ribs without damaging them.

I'm thinking it might be best to peel back the fabric from that area, and just epoxy some .016 aluminum over the damage and re-cover with fabric. But I also seek the knowledge of those more experienced :)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Back