• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Question: XFLR5 and MAC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

Although it concerns my tailless design project, this is more of a general question, so I am posting it here instead of the "tailless discussion" thread.

If I have a "normal" wing shape, XFLR5 calculates the MAC and the neutral point (for a stability analysis). It does not calculate the static margin, but gives the natural frequencies and damping factors for 8 modes---4 lateral and 4 longitudinal.

Now, on my latest tailless virtual tests, I have extended the center section chord to accommodate the cockpit and engine. Sort of a quasi-BWB design.

In Raymer's "simplified" book, and all the other sources I have seen, they use the reference wing wing area to calculate the MAC. In my current iteration the MAC should be 3.888, but XFLR5 says it is 5.646. This, I think, is resulting in a false indication of the static margin.

Do I need to be concerned about this, so long as the damping factors and natural frequency are reasonable? Or just calculate the MAC manually from the reference wing dimensions?

Back