• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Pre-Rotator gearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kelly

Hi all
I am thinking of changeing the gearing of my Pre-rotator a little ...
the Reason is that it is a pain to have to hold the Gyro to the ground when i am trying to spin her up .... the thrust is so strong it wants to push the gyro right on over me ...
i was thinking of speeding it up a bit so i don't have to rev the engine so high and stand there and hold it....

right now it seams to get the Rotors to just below flight speed , but that is takeing the engine to 4000 rpm... and that realy puts a strain on me legs, not to mention the soles of me shoes ! ....

I can easily change the counter pully that is 4.5 " in diam . i was thinking of replaceing it with a smaller pully of perhaps 3.5" in diam
and change the belt to one that is 1.5" smaller ... ( if my figures are right )
... Not sure it would spin it that much faster though ... it doesn't sound like much .
the pully on the base of the prop is 6" ... it goes to a 4.5" pully then to a 2:1 90deg. gearbox... then to a 2" pully and finally to a 12" pully at the Rotor .
Any sujestions ?

Thanks

Bob.......

Back