• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Opaque hood with side windows vs. transparent canopy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
I stumbled across this photo of the all-composite, one-off 1962 Piper PA-29 Papoose prototype and the canopy arrangement caught my eye. Some 1950s and 1960s homebuilts took a similar approach.

8295047299_02e464c613_z_d.jpg pip-pa29.jpg

See Tails Through Time: February 2010 and Piper Aviation Museum - Piper Papoose Prototype for more info and pics.

Considering the number of transparent canopies with big sunshades that I see, I wonder if this sort of arrangement is worth a second look? The windshield could be flat wrap, ditto the side windows if you lay out the hood with single curvature in the right places. It might be a nice way to dress up an otherwise Volksplane-simple design. You could even go all Rutan and use some circular porthole side windows. ;-)

What do you think?

Last edited:
Back