• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New member, sport pilot questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grindel

I am trying to finish up my PPL this year. My son (14) is helping the local EAA chapter finish their Zenith Cruizer. There doesn't seem to be many people interested in Light Sport aircraft. They seem to match my mission though. The problem is that I am 275 lbs so it limits my choices if I want to fly with a passenger and full fuel. Also I really wonder about flying cross country with an engine that really only wants ethenol free auto gas. Can anyone with experience let me know if this is a pain in the butt? I have thought about travelling with a electric bike and a collapsible tank to go get gas. Is there some way around this problem? The only plane that I have scene that could do this job would be a just aircraft highlander built as lightly as the manufacturer claims. The other plane that catches my eye is the Ekolot Topaz. The topaz is an slsa\elsa, which I find attractive since someday I could pass this plane on to my son and he would be one that could get a light sport maintenance certificate. Where as the EAB's maintenance certificate would be in my name for the highlander and he could not enjoy the same maintenance privileges as I would while owning the plane. I know this is extrapolating too far, but I do enjoy thinking through this issue, I just don't know anyone with experience to judge the relative value. A good third choice is the Savannah S. It can be built as an S-LSA, but I am a little unsure how well ICP would support me. I could only bring the electric bike if I took out the passenger seat. Anyway, thanks for any advice.
-Nick

Back