• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New member from WA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xlamin8r

Hi Y'all,
I just joined up. I am a retired aero engineer. Finished my career 12 years ago as part of a small team putting drag-reducing laminar flow technology on the tailfeathers of the 787. Hence my handle Xlamin8r. I live in the Columbia Gorge and fly my Corvair-powered Sonex out of The Dalles airport (DLS). I didn't build the bird but have been working to improve it in various ways. Most recently I pulled the engine to upgrade the oil pump to a higher volume one out of a small-block V8 Chevy. Also replaced the pan gasket to stop an annoying oil leak. The engine is from Azalea Aviation. I like the fact that the alternator is on the engine shaft, and on the back of the engine, where it contributes less to nose-heaviness. I also like the fact that there's no V-belt! The extra 5th bearing on the front end is a clever adaptation of a small-block V8 Chevy rear main bearing. Since it's a modified car engine, certain minor concessions are necessary to make it happy in an airplane. But oh man, is that little 6 smooth!
I have one big gripe with the FAA's rules. As the owner/operator of an experimental, I am dismayed at how many A&Ps won't do a condition inspection on it. The problem is liability. The mechanics are afraid I'll (generic here) sue them if I have a problem after they've pronounced it fit to fly. My view is that the airplane is my responsibility, especially since I am legally allowed to work on it! The mechanic doing the inspection should not be liable at all in the case of the experimental, especially since an inspection most likely can't catch everything. It should be advisory only; a 2nd set of eyes & skills is always good. When I pulled my engine for the repairs mentioned above, I found a problem that could have caused engine stoppage at any time but was completely invisible in any inspection short of an engine teardown. None of us wants the prop to suddenly stop turning!
Happy building and flying,
Art

Back