• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New Guy from Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redneck

Hi Everyone!

I am an aerospace engineer in his 30's and was a student pilot(private) until another student taxied through a ditch and scrapped the school plane. I decided that I would wait until I have my own airplane to finish my license due to the scheduling issues I experienced between my job, a flight instructor, and a shared plane.

I had thought about building an ultralight, something like an Airbike or Legal Eagle but ultimately, I decided that for all the effort I should build the plane I really want, and I will be building a Cub. My plans are to build a Wag Aero Sport Trainer with a few minor things like the adjustable stabilizer, float fittings, and all the windows I can fit but generally keep it simple and light. For a powerplant I plan to use a BMW r1200 motorcycle engine, It weighs very close to an A65 so W&B should be pretty easy to get spot on, also it is fuel injected and 110hp so it should be an economical performer, even if it needs derated a bit for aircraft use.

I know I could go out and buy a flying plane or project and I might end up picking up a fuselage or set of wings that have already been started. nothing against it I just haven't seen stuff come up for sale close enough to me that I went and snagged it.

Back