• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Missing logbooks, changing N-numbers, and other things to discuss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwalker

Supporting Member
The Sonerai is missing its logbooks, but indicates 400 hours on it, 100 of which the previous owner admits to having left the power on the plane while "working" on it. The plane has an airworthiness certificate and data plate, but not much else in the way of documentation. To correct this my thinking is along the following lines-

Start by initiating the registration process online along with maybe an N-Number change as I have one reserved. Hopeully this can mostly be done online.
In the meantime, go through the engine and airframe tip to tail, documenting all hardware/parts/etc. purchased and work/repairs done to return the plane to flying condition.
Get the plane inspected as its first annual by a local A&P familiar with tube/fabric planes
Create a new logbook for the engine and the airframe starting with the first annual
Go fly a cool Sonerai airplane!

Sounds simple, but... is it?

I have been warned that the registration process is super backed up and could take a year.
I have been told that an IA would have to perform the annual, which I am not sure why that would be since there is no type certification for the IA to authorize?
I have been told the missing logs are a bigger deal than I think they are, but I am not sure why that would be on an EXP.
Tube and fabric are new to me and will be a learning curve, but fortunately I have a friend in the area who has said he will learn me a thing or two about fabric.

In my mind I was hoping to be flying this heap by the end of summer, but it is looking like I might not even be able to have it registered by then.

Any input? Jokes at my expense? Rowdy comments about how hard is it to register a plane?

Back