• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Mike Sandlin's Bloop 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Here is a neat video from a couple of months ago that I just discovered today. For me, it's a reminder that we can have a lot of fun with something very modest.

[video=vimeo;136009914]https://vimeo.com/136009914[/video]

https://vimeo.com/136009914

There seems to be a sweet spot for paramotor engines around 25 hp for about $3,000 give or take from several different manufacturers (Vittarozi, Cors-Air, Polini, for example) some even with electric start. For a single-seat ultralight or something faster designed for that power, that means you can manage a complete, flying aircraft including instruments for well under $10,000 maybe even as little as $6,000 or $7,000.

This makes me want to try my hand at a small pusher design, not necessarily a very slow ultralight like Sandlin's but something with a little more speed, but still designed to use a 25 hp paramotor engine as is, just bolt on and go. Burt Rutan's original Quickie managed 115 mph cruise on 18 hp, but the pusher paramotor engine would be draggier. I'd be happy with a top speed of 100 mph, maybe cruise at 85-90, and a stall speed under 40 mph at a gross weight no more than 315 kg (694 lb) to stay within the European microlight limits (300 kg +5% allowance for a ballistic chute).

Last edited:
Back