• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lt.Versteegh's Fokker DVII 1918

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Stalenberg

Hello everyone
In the North of the Netherlands in a place called Berkhout,Mr.Dick Funcke is building a flying worthy Fokker DVII two seater Biplane replica.
It's the so called" Versteegh's DVII version"
The replica is based on the"F600"DVII.
This F600 had larger wings and a tank between the wheels.
Lt.Versteegh was a famous pilot in these days.
He also was the leader of a famous stunt team wich was known over the world back than as "Escadrille Versteegh " and as the " Five fingers on one hand"!.
This ment four planes of the other members and one of the chief Versteegh and they flew together as a stunt team.

Dick Funcke asked me to fabricate the panel that's positioned underneath the engine and goes up to the prop and radiator.
He made a wooden former as a guide of the shape for me.
So I started once again with making the patterns of thick paper.
I have made a switch back to the old roots of welding for this job and I must admit that it feels like coming home again.
From Tig back to gaswelding.
I use maximum protection for the flux and the backdraw of the fumes are brought back to a minimal.
This means remove the fumes by suction,using a mask and long gloves so there's no contact between skin and flux/fumes.
Now I really enjoy it again using the old method.
Funny is that I didn't touch the torch for welding for three year's because I wanted to learn Tig welding.
So when I tried gaswelding Aluminum again,I took the flux and a piece of scrap and tried if i still could do it!.
I made nothing out of it and threw it in a corner.
After a few days I just could stand it that i was not able to make a proper weld.
I then used another flux jar that i still had from Tm and I welded like i never used anything else.
So the first flux was contaminated and not doing his job anymore.

So here some pictures !

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/
Fenderbender72/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM01860_zps3abfdb68.jpg

Last edited:
Back