• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Long time listener, first timecaller

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatiowa

Supporting Member
Hi, as my screen name indicates I’m from the FLAT part of iowa, (60ft a mile climb would clear the power lines across the section). I’ve read the posts on this forum daily for many many years ( I still often see posts that makes me wish Orion was still with us, his wisdom and ability to communicate very complex things in a way that encouraged people whom had the ability to expand their knowledge and pursue more than just “follow the plans”,he didn’t spoon feed,.. but left a trail of breadcrumbs through the forest to follow) a check and balance way of not giving direct answers that any fool can read and “misinterpreted” lead to very bad outcomes, but also not a dismissive attitude to genuine questions, often leading to thoughtful discussion, more than once I watched the development of a good idea that grew from the seed of a “fools” question.
I did all of my flying training in a champ with a fantastic instructor who taught me chandels before turn on point, made me do minimum controll speed flight in highly active air conditions until my arms were sore for days after it, many times. I have an extreme respect for the edge of stall, and magic it can do if it’s used in a controlled way. did my first solo in it (it sure climbed a lot faster without the guy in back). I’ve never flown a nose wheel, I currently have a half vw minimax, hangered, and I’m working slowly on a clean sheet design based very closely on a shavrov sh-2, but using a 4415 airfoil and designed for the now discontinued cheaper line of verner 5 cylinder radial. It was at the canoe stage, ribs done, when I read they were being discontinued so I lost a lot of steam on it. I’ve got and old lycoming 145 that I can use the motor mount to shift the cg to get it airborne as a single place only usable weight, but it’s crankshaft employ is beyond specs and with no parts available would have to custom make a bearing. So it’s on hold.
I work in wood, fiberglass and metals (TIG welding only not oxy).
I believe a person learns more when there mouth is shut and their ears are open than visa-versa, and usually try to let the expert in the room do the speaking (unless they are wrong), and not being the expert will probably not say much, though now I may ask some questions. Now that the only way to see the responses to questions is to be logged in I had to make an account so that’s about it.

Back