• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Just joined

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonathan464

Hi,
Just joined this forum as I have been thinking for about building or buying an airplane for travel with my family of three. I've been building rc model kits forever and building the real thing has been a lifelong dream.

I've been making a spreadsheet of planes that meet the following requirements:
3 -4 seats
-cruise greater than 140 ktas
-comfortable for trips of 800nm
-fun to build and under 1000 hours of building time (I like to build things, but also am tired of the old 150 I purchased to get ppl)
-able to be used for training towards instrument rating and good IFR platform for the future

One thing I've found perusing this forum and others is that there are a reasonable number of larger 2 seaters converted to have a 3rd seat. Since my payload is under 400 lbs (will probably grow to 500 given kids grow) and my spouse is only 5'2", I think this could be an economical option. Has anyone here gone down this road before?
Jonathan

Back