• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Horizonal Stablizer placement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kelly

I just read an artical that makes alot of sense about the HS on the gyros...
I was at the Hornet site, and he explained why he didn't put the HS in the thrust line, but below the half way mark in the thrust-line.
...he said that because the air comeing off the prop is actually a vortex ( twisting wind, because the prop is going down on one side of the HS and
UP on the other, that putting the HS in the centerline will give you much more Torque effect ! ...
he said it was better to have it lower for a few reasons.... less Torque effect, and faster moveing air... than in the center.
My original Bumble bee tail's HS wasn't on the main tube it was up on the vertical tail about 6 to 8" ...
in the prop wash ! thats why it was soo darn small i guess !
Its got me second guessing myself now,
I have the Horizonal Stablizer dead center in the thrustline now, but maybe it would be better to drop the HS about a foot and a half down and nose it down about 2 degrees as well ?
( its perfectly horizonal right now )

there are a bunch of advantages to moveing it down, main one is i can stableize it alot better if it was lower. ( infact i could weld one of
the 2" angle iron brackets that hold the HS on to the main vertical stablizer support.... that would solidify everything alot more !
pluss the support bars could be reduced to 2 on top and 2 on botton, now there is 4 on bottom added weight !
it would just be a matter of takeing off the HS, remove the support bars and Re-fit everything. pluss weld the bracket up. I could have
it done in one afternoon easy.

Although I remember a long time ago Reading having the HS in the thrust-line was a good thing, I would amagon it was mainly pertaining to small
Horizonal Stablizers..... which mine is NOT ! hehehehehehe

Lowering it to half the prop blade length ( bottom side ) would put more surface airea in faster air no doubt, the torque SHOULD be less. on the tail feathers.... but your still going to get Torque no matter where you put it unless its OUT of the prop wash ! and thats no good because you want the fastest air you can get ! ..... tilting the HS 2 deg down in the front will help raise the nose in flight.... which is a good thing as long as its not too much !
... I'm guessing but that should be about 1/4" diference from front to back..... or a bit less

so what do you folks think ?
Any comments are welcome !

Bob.......

Back