• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Homebuilt aircraft in Afienya, Ghana

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbaron

Hello everyone, and thank you for welcoming me to your forum. For many years now, I have been researching the history of aviation in West Africa. This much neglected part of the world played a crucial role in being the starting point of the Takoradi Route in World War II, for example. Another little known fact is that Hanna Reitsch, the famous female German glider pilot who was also a test pilot in WW II, set up and operated a gliding school at Afienya, NE of Accra, Ghana, to train pilots in this newly independent country from 1961 to 1966. The large hangar that she had built is still there (5.805971 N 0.006737 E). A number of unusual homebuilt aircraft have been gathering dust in that hangar for decades now (another long story, but unconnected with Reitsch). Can your members help me to identify these (see pictures attached, some of poor quality, sorry)? I don't know what types are represented by the unfinished fuselage and by 9G-CBR. Also, any details of these, the two 3I Sky Arrows and the Avid Catalina would be most welcome! If anyone is interested in more background of my research, please let me know. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20090726 9G-CBR, unknown type, Afienya.jpg
    20090726 9G-CBR, unknown type, Afienya.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 0
  • 20090726 Unfinished fuselage, unknown type, Afienya b.jpg
    20090726 Unfinished fuselage, unknown type, Afienya b.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20120722 9G-ADV, 3I Sky Arrow, details unknown, Afienya.JPG
    20120722 9G-ADV, 3I Sky Arrow, details unknown, Afienya.JPG
    308.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20120722 9G-CDF, 3I Sky Arrow, details unknown, Afienya.JPG
    20120722 9G-CDF, 3I Sky Arrow, details unknown, Afienya.JPG