• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Dropped aileron airfoil for ultralight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gliderflyer

I own a B1-RD ultralight and am rebuilding another for the kids to fly. I need to build a new set of ailerons and am contemplating building them out of foam with a vacuum bagged fiberglass skin and a strong but light spar, much like the wings on model sailplanes.

The B1-RD had an option for adding a leading edge cuff for greater control. It usefulness is a debated subject but most agree it greatly helped low speed control. My thought is to use a thin symmetrical airfoil essentially building the cuff into the shape with my hinge point at 33%.

I'd like to know any other ideas or opinions on airfoil shape. I'm confident on any structural integrity issues so would like to stick to airfoil choice. For those not familiar, this a single surface fabric airfoil. Picture of my plane attached.

Randy

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 438
Back