• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Direct Drive Chevy 350

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTAirco

I am designing and building a two-seat biplane around the Chevrolet 350 engine which I propose to use in a direct drive mode. This has been done, nothing new there, but I cannot seem to find any accurate weight figures for the standard iron head engines. Any figure I have seen do not list what is included in the numbers.

Yes, I know it weighs a LOT. and starting somewhere around the 500 lbs mark is a good starting point before adding everything else, but the aeroplane I am building emulates a late twenties/early thirties biplane where engines of this power weighed about the same (although they did swing enormous props, I realise.)

I do not intend to bolt the prop directly to the flywheel via an adapter as has been done, because I do not like the crank being pulled the "wrong" way as far as thrust loads are concerned and the main bearing must see an enormous amount of strain from the gyroscopic loads from the prop. I know it works, but I intend to use a slightly more elaborate way to drive the prop via a special bellhousing (fully enclosed alloy casting) and an adapter plate carrying a heavy angular contact or taper roller bearing. A short,stiff shaft bolts to the flywheel and carries are prop hub at the other end. Apart from taking the loads of the crank, it would make the engine a little more streamlined. (Although I intend to use a barndoor-like front end resembling a Jenny or a Ford Model A for that matter).

Does anyone out there have any weight figures?

Back