• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Could wash-in wing design significantly increase CLmax of AR=4 wing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna Tian

[FONT=宋体] [/FONT]Due to the wingtip effect, the wing part near wingtip will tend to have lower local AoA. If we keep increasing the whole wing AoA to reach the whole wing CLmax, the inboard part of the wing will tend to stall while the outboard is still at a relatively low AoA. I guess this is the main reason that the 3D CLmax is smaller than 2D airfoil Clmax.
[FONT=宋体] [/FONT]
[FONT=宋体] [/FONT]Twisting the wing so that the local incidence from root to tip is increased seems to be able to significantly increase the CLmax of the 3D wing. The tendency of the tip stall could cause a problem if the wing is twisted in this way, but my AR=4 RC aircraft has lower AR than the typical wing so that I guess I can slightly twist it to earn some lift and stay safe at the same time.
[FONT=宋体] [/FONT]
[FONT=宋体] [/FONT]Has anyone tried this method to increase Clmax? Is this a very effective way to increase Clmax? Any comments on that?

[FONT=宋体] [/FONT]

Back