• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Changing out fixed slats for folding and De rating G limits for higher max gross.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GameBoy

Hey guys.

So I am looking at building a stol aircraft and one of my candidates is the Preceptor Stol King.

I want to discuss two things with the aircraft, It's slats and the max gross so let's get started.

Slats.
Simply the Stol King has fixed leading edge slats my idea simply would be to change them for carbon concepts slats.
The idea is simple really, slat closes in forward flight thus reducing drag over the fixed slat the plane has per plans.
As far as I am concerned the only effect this would have is when the slat closes lift on the front of the wing reduces thus moving the center of lift aft having the effect of a forward center of gravity.

So while closed stall speed would increase and of course cruise due to reduced drag but once the sufficient AOA is reached the slats would open and everything is back to normal.

Are there problems I am missing with this idea? My experience is all with aircraft that had no slats gaining them, I can't say I have heard of anyone changing fixed slats to folding.

Max Gross
So this one is a bit more complicated, so we need to stats to start with stats.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stol King
Gross = 1,200lb
Empty = 600lb
G Limits = +6 -3

PA-18 Supercub
Gross = 1,750lb
Empty = 800-1,000lb 930lb average.
G limits = +4.4 -1.8 (Constant number not modern gust load figure)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now you can likely already see my issue with the stol king and really my only hang up with the plane, it's gross weight, it's not much.

The PA-18 spar's have the same external dimensions as the Stol King they are just thicker web as per drawings below.
I already need a new undercarriage on the Stol King due to it being to weak and collapses being reported but Preceptor closed their doors before being able to update the legs my idea is can I just put in Supercub spars?
The idea would be to run Supercub spars then run Stol king G limits till 1,200lb then after that de rate till 1,750lb.

I plan on fully SolidWorks drawing the Stol king in any case to make a new undercarriage but is this as easy as I think it is or are there some much larger factors at play I am not remembering.
I am good at modification and custom design when doing it on an existing design but changing out an entire spar, that's a big one.

The drawings for the discussed topics are below.

And for those that will inevitably ask why I don't just build a Supercub, I need folding wings. But I am looking into ways a Supercub could have folding wings.

Attachments

• vvcap 2023-09-30-17-18-54.png
    vvcap 2023-09-30-17-18-54.png
    155.7 KB · Views: 0
  • vvcap 2023-09-30-17-18-42.png
    vvcap 2023-09-30-17-18-42.png
    161.4 KB · Views: 0
  • vvcap 2023-09-30-17-18-06.png
    vvcap 2023-09-30-17-18-06.png
    164.4 KB · Views: 0
  • vvcap 2023-09-30-17-17-36.png
    vvcap 2023-09-30-17-17-36.png