• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cabin airflow / venting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addaon

Supporting Member
Simple question here, but nothing directly applicable came up in a search

Mission is a cross-country two seater with 5+ hour useful range, optimized for comfortable commute. Willing to sacrifice a bit of weight for more than a bit of comfort.

I'm trying to size and plan heating and airflow.

One catch is that with a rear engine install, for various reasons I'm leaning against using a traditional heat muff. However, with a forward mounted gearbox, I should have 1 - 2 kW of available heat there through an oil cooler. I'm also planning to use PTC resistive heaters + fans in the defrost ducts, allowing some pre-warming of the cabin on the ground and allowing defrost to be effective even when engine is at low power (since I usually find I need it when taxiing).

I think I can size all of this on the intake side, although I still have open questions around whether e.g. I'd rather route the air or the oil to control whether gearbox heat is directed to cabin or overboard, and whether I want a heat exchanger on cabin intake/outlet air to help with a somewhat undersized heater solution.

The question, then, is around sizing and placement of that cabin air outlet. Besides the usual guidance (low pressure area, similar in size to intake to maybe a bit bigger if the outlet energy is lower than the inlet energy), what placements are traditionally used and what works or doesn't work? I can't even point to the cabin air outlet on my Commander without opening a maintenance book; for all I know it's just relying on air leakage at various points, but I assume better sealing and a designed outlet works better here...

Thoughts?

Back