• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of home-built aviation.

Why support HomebuiltAirplanes.com?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.
    • Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Better than a Bob Stick

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvshooter

I found an easy, fast and cheap way to get those 30 degree flanges on the lightening holes. And as a bonus the resulting flanges almost look like they were done in a factory.

Some time ago I bought a couple tools I hoped would work. One has neoprene wheels mounted on a steel handle. Another tool I bought had steel wheels mounted on a steel handle. The first one worked but was difficult to use and slow, and the resulting flanges not as nice as I wanted . The second tool didn't work at all. Enter the "Bob Stick." I made a couple Bob Sticks and they worked much better than the store bought tools. However, progress was slow and the results not as nice looking as I wanted.

I know some have purchased or turned wood on a lathe to make their own lightening hole flange presses but I can't see spending much money and even if I had a lathe I wouldn't want to make my own presses.

Sometimes the best solution is the simplest. Try a hammer from Harbor Freight 2" Teardrop Mallet If the link isn't working it's item 66205 at HF.

I put a 1" thick piece of pressure treated deck flooring into the vice with about 4 inches protruding above the vice jaws. This particular piece is about 1 1/2 inches wide and 1" thick. I wanted the flanges to be about 1/4" wide so I made a mark on the end of the wood 1/4" back from the edge. To start the flange hold the rib over top the wood and line the edge of the lightening hole up with the mark you made. Then tilt the rib to about a 15* angle and begin tapping the edge of the lightening hole. On small holes I use the pointed end of the hammer and on the larger holes the large end of the hammer. I couldn't believe how easy it was and how great the resulting flange looked.

HTH

Back