• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ali cage questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AncientAviation

Greetings all...

I am building a Mitchell wing B10 in the UK under the SSDR rules - similar to the 103 in the USA.

I am looking to make a (slightly) different cage structure for two main reasons:
a) the plans cage is too small for my delicate 6'4" frame ;)
b) locally I can get some ali at a very reasonabe cost - if we have to import as per the plans it will push up costs a huge amount.

I'd like to know if I am missing something or if there is any issues with my plan :)

The B&W photo shows the plans cage.
It uses 1_1/2" tubing for the bottom floor tubes, the rear upright tubes and the rear landing gear tube.
The rest are 1" tubes of various wall thicknesses.

The colour photo is one I found that has extra head room and the diagonals attach at the top of the front uprights as opposed to c. 70% up the upright.
I'll need to ensure the wheels are in the same place relative to the wing.
Not sure if the wheels need to be moved a bit back by virtue of the extra height?

I have some 1", 1_1/8" and 1_1/4" 17 guage (0.056") tubing that will all sleave nicely with each other apparently...
I plan to use 1_1/4" throughout with extra sleeving at ends/bolts and full sleeve where the plans called for thicker wall tube such as the front upright

Using 1_1/4" instead of 1" will add some weight.
Extra head room will also extra tubing and thus extra weight.
Using it instead of 1_1/2" will save weight (not a lot of 1_1/2" tubing is used!) but I wonder about the strength if using a smaller diameter tube?

Extra head room i.e. extra length tube, probably means might need a possibly thicker tube wall than original plan specs (where the tube is shorter).
It is only a few inches extra headroom so maybe not significant but a factor

So....
What am I missing please?
Any issues or other things I need to be aware of?

My thanks

Attachments

• b10jpcage.jpg
    b10jpcage.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
  • B10_clawson1.jpg
    B10_clawson1.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 0
Back