• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

3 Ds Desired Destinations Defined

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
The following is copied from the Ultralight "How Would You ‘Race’ Ultralights?" thread post #36. The object of that thread is to promote Ultralight aviation. This is given as an example of promoting ultralight activity and creating a public awareness and accessibility in a low cost fun, community friendly and profitable way.

The destination referenced no longer exists. The purpose of this thread is to identify many Desired (ultralight ) Destinations throughout the US, places where ultralight of many differing types are able to operate and add to the destinations character. In many cases it may be necessary or advisable to have advanced communications or permission to complete the operations. This is the forum to discuss the processes and to assist with obtaining the necessary or desirable approvals.

We used to have an event at a place called Turkeyville, MI. It is a restaurant owned by a family that raises turkeys and only serves turkey meat with it's meals. They had a dinner theater and a runway.
We'd fly in and have a bomb drop of bean bags at a target from 100ft altitude and bowling for wooden battleships on the runway with softballs. Sometimes a spot landing. For the fun of it we called it the "Les Nessman Turkey Drop" in full reference to that episode of WKRP in Cincinnati. Richard Sanders (aka - Les Nessman) actually stopped out one year.
A volunteer and her daughter made up new bean bags one year that changed the event. They made a bunch of flat bean bags in the shape of a turkey. Even using a marker to draw on some features. These proved to be totally unreliable in how they fell. They might simply drop like a stone. Or - they could start spinning and like a maple tree seed - helicopter quite some distance from where they were expected to fall. Rather than cease using the bags - as there had been so much work put into making them - someone came up with the idea to hand a fishing net to some one who wanted to team up with a pilot - spectator participation - and have them try to catch the bags as they fell.
The restaurant would advertise the event and for some years it was quite popular with folks driving quite some distance to see.

The restaurant would advertise the event and for some years it was quite popular with folks driving quite some distance to see.
We also used it as a waypoint for a number of our competitions from nearby Brooks Field in Marshall.
Sadly the runway is planted in crops now and much of the grass spectators parked on is now a camp ground.
Here is a picture of one of the T shirts I still have. I wish I had more of them from our glory days. I just noticed that the name "Nessman" only contains one "s" on the shirt. I don't recall if this was intentional or not.

How Would You ‘Race’ Ultralights?

Back