• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

2-Stroke Enrichener Control in Front Cockpit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClaudeR

Supporting Member
Hi, all:

I recently purchased a Hornet airplane (US Light Aircraft) with a Hirth 2706 engine. I'm new to two strokes, coming from GA with Lycs and Cont. engines, so would appreciate some advice regarding the possible use of the enrichener in flight. I have not flown the plane yet, so I'm trying to be proactive here.

The main question is whether I should arrange to have the enrichener control available from the front cockpit for use in-flight; it's currently only controllable from the rear cockpit. From what I've read, there is a possibility with 2-stroke engines that when you go from climb-out to cruise that the EGTs can spike and possibly cause damage to the engine, but if you have access to the enrichener you can cause a quick rich mixture and cool the EGTs before damage is done.

What do those of you whom have 2-stroke experience think? Am I worrying about a non-existent problem, or should I move the enrichener control to the front (new cables, control mechanism, etc.)?

Thanks.

Claude

Back