• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

ultralight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. benwychocki

Wing design questions and advice

I'm trying to CAD up a design for a Part 103 ultralight in the vein of the Aerolite 103 - high wing with struts, pusher prop, tricycle gear, open "cockpit". Right now this is more of an exercise in Fusion 360 proficiency but if I come up with something I like I may try to build it. Right now...
  2. DPerkoff

Questions and survey for Ultralight Pilots

Hey guys! I'm a team member of Upwards Aero, a startup looking to provide an eVTOL tilt-rotor ultralight. You can find us at UpwardsAero.com or most social media platforms. I noticed you guys have lots of experience around all things flight, and was hoping some of you would be willing to fill...
  3. S

Looking for either Scout or Weedhopper plans

Hello, I have decided to start building a single surface wing ultralight and and have decided on either Wheeler Scout or Weedhopper. Where I live ultralights are not popular at all and therefore I will be building my own. Also, here in Europe there are all kinds of definitions of "ultralight"...
  4. DaveD

1-Up Concept Design

Life's been getting in the way for the last few years which has slowed work on my Project-Ex idea to less than a crawl... but the dream of a composite pusher has still been bubbling away. After some napkin doodling I've been toying with the idea of a single seat, mostly Carbon Fibre craft that...
  5. Debaker

Roger Mann is building a new, affordable Ragwing ultralight.

Hi all. Roger Mann, the guy behind Ragwing aircraft, is at it again. He designed and built a lot of ultralights back in the day, and has been away from it for a while; but now he’s working on a new ultralight that should cost under $5k to build, in the post-Covid economy. It is also supposed to...
  6. S

The Scout and other car roof-portable folding wings ultralights

Greetings, I have been thinking about a design that could be transported from my garage to a local field without a trailer. I have watched episodes on YouTube about the Scout ultralight from the old days and the ability to take your aircraft on a holiday or a camping trip is very appealing...
  7. goney3

AirVenture 2022: Where have all the Ultralights gone?

There seems to be very few Ultralight aircraft at AirVenture in Oshkosh this year, anyone know why? 🤔
  8. C

Airplane For Sale Sorrell SNS-8 Hiperlight [Project]

This is a kit build which is 80% complete. New price: asking $15,500. This Sorrell Hiperlight SNS-8 (Sorrell Negative Stagger) Bi-Plane is a single place biplane which can be completed as an ultralight, light sport, or experimental aircraft. 50hp Rotax 503 engine with dual carbs, dual...
  9. R

Parts For Sale Hovey Delta Bird For parts

I have an old Hovey Delta Bird for parts, Located in Wisconsin. Could be restored, has minor damage, but been sitting a long time. Very little time in the air. The guy who built it flew it one day. When his wife saw it, she said that was the last time he would fly it. He did fly it a few...
  10. R

STOL Inspired Composite Ultralight

Hiya homebuilt, long time listener, second time caller here! The first time I came around here asking about help with the design of a pie-in-the-sky electric canard for a bachelors final project. We were able to laminate a partial canard spar and do a bunch of hotwire cutting after spending a...
  11. WorldWideWayne

Planning the adventure of a lifetime and hello from Germany!

Hi there, Since I am planning on flying an UL in the US in summer of 2022 I have tons of questions regarding FAR103 and just general questions about flying an Ultralight Aircraft in the US. This might sound a little crazy.. My plan is to acquire a 103 compliant plane - preferably the "Merlin...
  12. Ollie Krause

Preventing Corrosion

Hi Home Built Airplane Enthusiasts, I'm having some trouble figuring out the best practices for corrosion prevention in ultralight aircraft. I cam across this HBA thread which was super helpful but it primarily focused on sealant and less about broad corrosion prevention methods. I forget which...
  13. P

VJ-23 Rigid Wing Hang Glider

Hey Everyone! Noob aircraft enthusiast, experienced woodworked here. Looking to find more information into the Volmer VJ-23... This seems like the perfect little aircraft to just get started on some hill hops. the dream would be to someday upgrade a build of this to an E-soarer! Here is maybe...
  14. G

finished himax on its first flight.

Hirth f33 for power
  15. A

Part 103 low speed ultralight glider design (wing)

I need ideas of wing system for ultralight glider (such as Chanute, EasyRiser or Primary Instruction Glider) (may be biplane) low speed (25 - 40 hm/h) , weight of glider < 40 kg). My idea is next: biplane (wingspan - 6m, wing chord - 1.2m), S1210 airfoill...
  16. T

Hi all, new to the site

Restoring a 35 year old Mirage Ultralight. Aircraft is complete and running but needs a full restoration. I have just gotten started. HELP !!!!
  17. Maxray

Legal Eagle project for sale

Well, my VA Doctor made my decision to sell my beloved Spread Eagle project... Health is failing faster than previously thought. From my Barnstormers ad: LEGAL EAGLE PROJECT - ARF • $6,800 • ACCEPTING OFFERS • LEGAL EAGLE - SPREAD EAGLE UL TO XL. UL style dimensioned to XL landing gear, length...
  18. D

Flight verification.

https://scontent.flos8-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/61890665_866238287085049_4951750108606627840_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_eui2=AeGxQ2eWuU5f0OZIDhiVkoe7xq_Pcift2xbFNC3WOWgLMBkySVb7wV3zBQr4VwFacfXXLZkUfWe8-tf2MyzyrTlvj8qh9n_RPoD_yK4_Tpazmw&_nc_ht=scontent.flos8-1.fna&oh=f67...
  19. D

What's up with these webless ribs?

Hi,I have seen a number of ultralights with wings whose ribs don't have webs e.g this Affordaplane: I once learnt that the webs in wing ribs help to transfer shear forces as well as wing loads on the wing skin to the spars,so my question is how will these "shear forces" be transfered from the...
  20. T

Has anyone built their own personal flying machine?

Hi there, I work for a television production company and I am currently doing some research into the exciting world of aviation. I am trying find stories of people who have built their own incredible and unusual flying machines and aircraft (or are still building), and was wondering whether...
Back