• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

airfoil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. benwychocki

Wing design questions and advice

I'm trying to CAD up a design for a Part 103 ultralight in the vein of the Aerolite 103 - high wing with struts, pusher prop, tricycle gear, open "cockpit". Right now this is more of an exercise in Fusion 360 proficiency but if I come up with something I like I may try to build it. Right now...
  2. Debaker

Laying out/ plotting ribs

Hi all, I’m building to plans that include full-scale rib drawings. However, due to some slight inaccuracies between the drawings and critical dimensions and angles, I tried starting afresh and plotting out the airfoil manually, using coordinates generated from the airfoiltools.com website. As...
  3. N

BF109-F :Wing appears to be too thick

Hi, I'm currently designing a 3d model of the Messerschmitt BF109 in Blender. I have found out, that the ME109 uses the NACA 2414 airfoil at the root of the wing and the NACA 2411 airfoil at the wingtip. However, when I compare the relative thickness of the wing I modeled to the relative...
  4. A

Part 103 low speed ultralight glider design (wing)

I need ideas of wing system for ultralight glider (such as Chanute, EasyRiser or Primary Instruction Glider) (may be biplane) low speed (25 - 40 hm/h) , weight of glider < 40 kg). My idea is next: biplane (wingspan - 6m, wing chord - 1.2m), S1210 airfoill...
  5. PiperCruisin

NACA 6-series cusp

I imagine this subject has been somewhat hashed out on the forum from what I've seen, but here it goes. I've been looking into some airfoils for a design, but starting to confuse myself (not an aero guy). I have Riblett's book and was comparing his airfoil to the 6-series using Javafoil...
  6. birdus

GA Airfoils and Cusps

I'm going through the book GA Airfoils by Harry Riblett. Just trying to pick an airfoil for the plane I'm designing. One thing he talks about in the book is "cusps." Some of his airfoils have them and some don't. He says: "...the characteristics of the cusp type sections are not shown; however...
  7. L

What would be a reasonable CLmax estimate for the USA35A thick, high-lift airfoil?

Hi, I'm trying to choose airfoils and establish wing dimensions (and high lift devices if needed) for my design. I have a low stall speed requirement (Vs0 = 42km/h [with flaps]), so I'm looking into high-lift airfoils with good stall and thick enough for a light spar. I'm trying to balance CLmax...
  8. J

Wing Shape and Flight Characteristics

I’ve been going through Dan Raymer’s book on aircraft design for homebuilders; it's great! Now I’m at the point to design my wing and this is the first place I’ve gotten stuck. My aircraft mission is to be competitive in the aerobatic world, capable of all the advanced maneuvers normal and...
  9. skwier

ultralight design for high altitude runway (airfoil, aspect ratio, loading, dihedral)

Beginning a design of an ultralight (US 103) to fly from a base near 5400 feet (1640 m). Yesterday we had gusts to 39 mph (63 kph) with airs temps to 85 F (30 C) in clear air and no clouds within 10 miles. Take off in those gusts would be foolish, but they came up very suddenly out of a blue...
  10. TinBender

HAD Foil - Airfoil generation program for Windows-

HAD Foil Greetings, Because I found limitations in MS Excel noted in https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/aircraft-design-aerodynamics-new-technology/20803-excel-based-ga-airfoil-coordinate-generation-windows.html , I have created a program that is not limited. This new program is written...
  11. B

Microlift Glider Airfoil Design

I'm currently re-building the wings of a moyes tempest. The tempest uses battons and sails similar to a hang glider. The wing has the potential to be very efficient following a rebuild. I would like to use a profile similar to the carbon dragon or sparrowhawk but am having trouble finding the...
  12. Z

x-plane roncz airfoil

I am part of a team designing an experimental plane. We are just in the initial design stages. My part is in designing a model to fly in x-plane. I want to make it as accurate as possible. The designers want to use a Roncz airfoil. Does anyone know where I can download this airfoil for use in...
  13. G

Too Many Links To List

1st Happy Holidays to Everyone. First take a look at this, then select which one your are: Now the results of my mining links: Public Domain Aeronautical Software (PDAS) Sources of Aeronautical Software Airfoil Wing Design Program Software Free - Web - PEMonitorHosted XFLR5 Fixed Wing...
  14. G

A little knowledge can be 'very' dangerous in airfoil selection

While looking for a 'good' not perfect airfoil, since I don't believe a perfect airfoil exist since there are more airfoils than airplanes it appears, I stumbled upon an airfoil which might confirm the modified flying barn door theory. How this laminated slab flies like a magic carpet, without...
  15. CThurstonPA

Airfoil advice for unmanned aircraft?

Hey there! First forum post, happy to be here! I participate in a an aerospace design competition in high school, and this year's challenge is to design a UAS for agriculture. The competition is based entirely on design (CAD etc), so we won't be physically building anything :( Anyways, I was...
  16. A

XFLR 5 Help needed

Hi guys!!! I am new to this forum and by reading the threads I realized there are alot of things i didn't know about aero-modeling. Thanks to you guys for all the superb posts :) Here is my query. I am designing a low weight RC plan to carry a specific sized payloads. Weight and battery being...
  17. H

Airfoil choices . . .

Hello, I've been watching for a while, have done some searches, and would now like suggestions for an airfoil. I'm considering building something like a Strojnik S2A. The S2 uses the Wortmann FX 67-170/17, which appears to be a fairly standard all around airfoil that's been around some 30+...
  18. M

Help with wing building part 103

Hello all, new member here from Tucson. I'm in the drafting phase of building a part 103 UL from scratch and I've come to a snag. I've been learning the science behind airfoil shapes and have picked my airfoil(naca 4418). I did all the math from Chris Heintz's article...
  19. H

Design of Red Bull Flugtag

Hi Everyone Myself and a few friends are currently building a red bull flugtag. We are a bit strapped for time as the deadline is next saturday :ponder:. We are going for a simple aircraft design with airfoil wings to generate lift. At the moment we are deciding on wing design. The max...
  20. H

Propeller design and characteristics

I am interested in designing a propeller, but cannot find much programs that can simulate propeller performances. I have seen programs like Javafoil before, but it has limited number of deviations and airfoils. Does anyone know of any programs where I can change the properties of the...
Back