• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

flying wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Hot Wings

Frise aileron as an elevator?

Yes, kind of an out of the box - a well tattered one - thought. Reason? To reduce stick forces on a flying wing and keep the pivot point out of the body of the elevator for assemble and maintenance reasons. A simple offset hinge would do the same thing, and eliminate the potential 'snatch' of...
  2. rotax618

Aussie Plank

I posted these photos on another thread relating to the Winton Opal, but I think it is interesting enough for a thread on its own. The photos were captured stills from an old video “Australian Ultralights and their Pilots”, I visited the builder many years ago and inspected the machine - I’m not...
  3. Hot Wings

Fauvel AV-36 and 361 plans project

This is not a traditional aircraft build, at least not yet. I have taken on the responsibility for the AV-36 after purchasing Falconair's rights to the design. After receiving the documentation It became apparent the the plans needed some significant updating. The 'master' plans showed their...
  4. Hot Wings

Fauvel AV-36, 361 and 362

I've taken on the responsibility of preserving and developing this classic flying wing design. I received the documentation a couple of days ago, but have not yet had time to fully examine everything. The original plans are in pretty poor shape but I'm confidant that I can get them into...
  5. H

Ford 15P [speculation/discussion thread]

Hi guys, so I've just been introduced to this little aircraft courtesy of Autodidact. For the benefit of others, here it is: Information is scarce about this aircraft. It was a one off, only flew a few times due to poor controllability and was eventually scrapped. It's a 2 seater with a 34ft...
  6. M

Acrobatic Fauvel type Flying Wing?

Been watching youtube vids of an AV-36 doing loops. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SAb6epuBhc Which got me pondering a variation on Pelican/Vampyr. The Pelican was designed to be low cost/low HP. 5g/2.5g. But it doesn't have to be. What if? 1) Go with a thinner wing section, Graphlite...
  7. N

XFLR5 Help Please

Hi, I am trying to graphically modify a NACA 9318 in XFLR5 - is there a way to do this? I want to grab these points and pull them around, but when I attempt to do that the airfoil doesn't modify. You can see in this screen grab that the "Splines" menu is blanked out. Can anyone tell me what I...
  8. Arfang

Transition to tailless

Hello all, I'm about to get my flying license and started thinking more seriously about building, I am particulary interested in the JCD-03 Pelican, or maybe the Fauvel AV-60. Due to some flight characteristics of ''flying planks'' (pitch damping, no flaps, etc...), I guess that it would...
  9. karan

Flying Wing for Search and Rescue

Hey Guys, I've been working on designing a flying wing UAV since 2 months now. Human search and rescue using an autonomous drone is the prime objective of this project. First Prototype. One of the major aim of our project is to show how a visual human detection system that uses images from a...
  10. nickec

Characteristics of a straight-wing, tailless model in the Langley free-flight tunnel

Determination of the stability and control characteristics of a straight-wing, tailless fighter-airplane model in the Langley free-flight tunnel Inspired by the above document, I plan to use this thread to describe a very light, very small, all metal aircraft. The design will attempt to...
  11. John Newton

Prevention of tip stall on a swept flying wing using partial drooped leading edge

Hi all, I have recently been looking into the design of swept flying wings and have built an R/C testbed model to test out my ideas. It flies well enough but is prone to tip stalling. I am retrofitting it with a NASA style drooped leading edge over the outer 1/3rd of the semispan in a bid to...
  12. karoliina.t.salminen

Flying wing for high efficiency

Hello, I picked up one comment by autoreply in Synergy thread about flying wing for attempting very high efficiency. So I went and wrote to him a private message about it because I have felt some interest towards this configuration for quite some time, largely for two reasons 1) looks cool and...
Back