• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Shadowed Tool Box Foam/Inserts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmipacman

Hello,

I would like to offer custom tool box inserts. I know that shadowing tool boxes in aviation is a common FOD prevention method so I thought I would offer here first and see if there is any interest.

Here is how it works:
1) Remove all the tools from one of your drawers and line it with while paper.
2) Organizer your tool overtop of the while background just the way you would want them to be organized with the foam.
3) Using a decent camera, take a good quality orthographic picture (top down) of the drawer. Make sure that the white background is as square to the view as possible and focused well. Most newish phone cameras are just fine. You may need to stand on a stool to get a good view. Try to eliminate as much shadowing from other light sources as possible.
4) Send it to me and I will cut you a custom liner based on the picture. I typically leave a 1/32-1/16" margin around tools.

Materials Available:
-3/4" Expanded PVC Board with a 1/8" colored overlay. Two examples are pictured.
-1/2" foam. Similar to attached picture.
-Lots of other options. If you have a material in mind we can talk about it.

These are a few examples of ones I have done.

drill organizer.jpgIMG_0135.JPGIMG_0342.JPGIMG_2644.JPGIMG_2599.JPG
6-3-2015 10-26-20 AM.jpg
Pricing: I will do my best with pricing and stay below $40 for a standard 22x16 drawer no matter how many tools you have. This is just the high number. Material, time required to set up the tools in CAD, and qty have alot to do with cost. I'll do the very best I can to make this reasonable when compared to purchasing good quality uncut foam or any other good quality organizer.

This is as much about providing a service as it is about gauging interest and building a library of tool profiles for myself. I dream of building a J-3 Kitten, but when I wake up I have to find ways to pay for all the fun things I want to do. Maybe this is one of them, maybe not.

Thanks for looking. Let me know if you have any questions.
Paul

Back