• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New Seaplane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquavion

Hello everyone, I would like to introduce my company and give you a little bit of information on a new type of seaplane we are currently developing. As Ashraf Othman has already indicated in the "Float Flying" forum, my company Aquavion Aircraft Ltd. (pronounced aa-qwaw-vee-on with emphasis on the "qwaw") is now building the prototype aircraft. Aquavion, meaning "water-bird", has been developing this amphibious aircraft since 1998 with one of the objectives being the achievement of a cruise drag coefficient for the aircraft that is superior (under similar flying conditions with aircraft of similar wetted areas), to any cross-country seaplane of the kitplane variety that is currently flying. Whether we will achieve this objective remains to be seen.

One other objective with this design is the incorporation of certain utility features that have not as yet made their appearance in the kitplane market or even the certified GA market for seaplanes. Unfortunately I cannot as yet elaborate on these features or put a value on the drag coefficient in cruise flight we are aiming for. We are in a very competitive business and we have just begun construction of the prototype aircraft. When we have the final numbers, and only when we can say that these numbers will be guaranteed with this aircraft, will we release them. I don't want to get in the game of pre-production one-upmanship with other manufacturers without being able to deliver. We have yet a long way to go.

As Mr. Othman mentioned, we had applied for a US patent on this design four years previous and I am pleased to announce that we were granted our patent with 25 claims entrenched, about 2 weeks ago. Other international patents have been applied for as well.

We have test flown a 1/8th scale R/C aircraft of the full-size we are currently constructing and we are very pleased with the results so far. I can tell you with this particular model, that we are fully hydroplaning (ie. beyond "hump" speed) in two fuselage lengths and airbone in nine on average, depending on headwind. We expect that the prototype aircraft will perform similarly with appropriate adjustments for Reynold's numbers, wing and power loading taken into consideration. We have also built a 1/4 scale R/C aircraft although this has yet to be completed and has proven a very useful scale aircraft for developing our own version of the VARTM (resin infusion) process of manufacturing our fuselage shells and wing panels. The tight radius compound curves at this scale were very challenging indeed.

That is about all I can reveal at the moment other than to comment that we hope to display our prototype aircraft at the Aviation Expo in Oshawa, Ontario in the spring of 2007, if all goes according to plan. At that time we should be in a better position to know just how well the aircraft is meeting expectations.

We have no website at the moment but this could change in the coming year, so keep tuned !!

Ray Richards, Pres.,
Aquavion Aircraft Ltd.

For a sneak preview of what the full size aircraft will resemble, see the photo of the 1/8th scale R/C aircraft at the address below:

https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=305

There are now additional photos in the member's galleries of the 1/8th scale in action and full size Floatwing under construction.

Last edited:
Back