• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New LSA engine - "work in progress"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapracer

Hi Guys,

I would like to announce that I will be starting the development of a bespoke LSA aircraft engine, water cooled 4 stroke of 2.0 capacity and looking for a reliable 100+hp.

It is a unique and unusual design which has some advantages in size, shape and torsional vibration, all important to LSA along with a low component count which I will discuss further when my design registration has been accepted in the coming weeks. It is unusual engine but is not a radical engine by any means and is based on mass produced, 'off the shelf' well proven components. For this reason the price will be somewhere around half of the current popular 100hp class engines.

Of course some of you already realise that part of that low cost is that around 50% of it, ie; the long block, will be produced in China, but with Western management, design, quality control and if it's of concern to anyone, the bulk of profits will go back West (it has to, I have 3 adult daughters who like shoes and bags!). I am talking with Western ancillary suppliers for dry sump, fuel systems, electrics etc. - the other 50% of the engine.

We have all heard claims of “this and that” is going to be made etc. before but assure you it's a reality and I am under a proviso of 6 months to have a running prototype done.

This is not a thread for "Investment" grab, it's not a thread to get orders or deposits, it's simply an information news post for those who may be looking at choices on a budget for late this or next year and once I have the fore-mentioned design registration in place, I will start a thread detailing the engine and showing the development stages of the prototype and other interesting stuff along the way, should be fun!

Actually if you really want to help this along, please leave a smiley or something to show my business partner and wife who know nothing about the subject that there's actually some interest!

PS;
Yes, yes I know Chinese engines are usually made from recycled WW2 scrap recovered from the bottom of the ocean melted down with soy sauce, duck feathers, old soup cans and recycled coke cans for pistons, but I'll try to raise the game a bit ;)

Back