• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Turbine power for self launch and sustained flight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozyflier

Hello to all sailplane enthusiasts,

I am presently building an older HP-18 sailplane. This is a Schreder design from the 70's which has a glass fuselage pod, aluminum wing skins, tail boom and V tail. Besides an airfoil modification I am considering twin Microjet AT-450 turbine engines. The jets produce 45 pounds of thrust each and are intended for RC jet aircraft. Bob Carlton used these power plants on his Silent Sailplane and performed throughout the country with his aerobatic sailplane routine.

I am considering a similar installation and am looking to see if anyone may have some history of information with there own personal experience.

The HP-18 is a compact sailplane and the Microjets are the only option that seems viable. Each engine is just 5" in dia by 10.5" long, weighing just 5 pounds each.

I understand that a self launch can be achieved using a hard surface runway. 1000' to become airborne, another 1000 in ground effect to gain climb speed and then a sustained 450' / minute to altitude.

In addition the engines can be started in flight if lift is weak to get back home or to a suitable landing site.

The CG and drag concerns are minimal since the extend and retract operation would be a vertical mast directly behind the wing area with minimal frontal area.

I see these engines as a viable alternative to piston or electric power, especially when the area for installation is compact and limited.

Any and all comments are welcome,

Thanks,
Chris

Back