• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thoughts on the Zigolo vs EMG-6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,

In the past I have brought up my idea on this forum to design and build a small electric glider that only needs to climb out of a small GA airport and motor over to a local HG hill near me. The flight is all of 5 miles which makes an electric motor glider feasible. With this mission in mind it appears that both the Zigolo and EMG-6 would fullfill the same goal. I am curious to hear what other son here think about each design.

Zigolo
The Zigolo is not much more than a modified Goat but the electric powerplant they are developing seems very advanced. They offer buy for 8K now and build and motor will be ready by the time I am done. Seems feasible since the prototype is very polished already. Downside is I am 6'4" 230lbs and the Electric powerplant is heavier than the IC and my wig loading may be so high it will have a high sinkrate and it may not soar. The HG location has strong thermals and the lift band is wide enough that I could stay clear of HG's but I still worry about the sink rate. Penetration between thermals is less of a concern since i will be relegated to a ridge area anyhow. I have windjammed mikes bug and Goat before at tehachapi and have been a fan of the design ever since.

EMG-6
The EMG-6 seems a much more advanced airframe than the Zigolo but their powerplant seems to be going toward the R/C hobby way over the advanced powerplant of the Zigolo. I am a bit confused about their membership levels. it looks like the EM-6 would carry my weight better than the Zigolo as well.

Part 103 worries... Could I fly out of KWHP head for the hills to avoid flying over any population but curious if being in Los Angeles county pretty much kills the idea of part 103. I am also open to registering it as a homebuilt to get the N number if needed.

Marc

Back