• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How much power per pound do you use for self launching gliders?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdwatcher

I'm sure the faster ones use more power of course. Please tell me about your folding prop size, motor wattage/hp, air speed during climb, and climb rate.

I'm interested in flying a modified hang glider class glider, and I don't like the idea of driving all the way up a far away mountain to catch the wind and then figuring out how to get back to my car.

Paying for a tow sounds OK, but I think it would be too fast for the ultralight. I think it would be funny to see a foot launchable glider pilot running behind a tow plane with toe line. Long before the toe plane gets up to speed, the pilot would be safely off the ground, or maybe not so safely. Maybe I could hire an ultralight with 40hp to tow me up.

I wonder how many tows I could get for the price of a small engine and gas.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Back