• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Pilot rating and endorsement requirements for motorgliders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Note: Forked this off from the Part-103 Glider thread, as it was getting to be quite off-topic for that one. /Mod. Note

I was pondering something similar several months ago... http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/soaring/16667-practicality-ultralight-glider.html

For my purposes I don't need Part 103, but anything meeting my cost and simplicity goal will probably be close anyway.

My current performance target is relatively low sink and L/D around 25. But, I don't have any gliding experience yet, either.

The problem with a single-seater E-AB motorglider is that you're virtually forced to buy a minimum of five hours instruction time from a qualified CFI-G to get your self-launch endorsement before you can fly it. The FAR's say, IIRC, that less than 5h is allowed, but that 5h is the "recommended minimum" from the FAA, and what CFI-G is really going to undercut that and risk their own instructor's certificate if they're wrong. This is all on top of having a Glider rating, of course. An SEL or other non-Glider rating won't do. And no, the fact that it's a single-seater experimental doesn't waive this requirement.

The nearest commercially-available motorglider to me is a Stemme S-10 down at Warner Springs. Which rents for $250 an hour, plus fuel. So add a minimum of $1,500 or so to the cost of the aircraft, in my case.

There is a body of thought that a sustainer-equipped sailplane that cannot self-launch does not require a self-launch endorsement, but I've heard highly conflicting opinions on that one. However, if the aircraft is capable of taking off under its own power and (I presume) climbing out of ground effect, it's abundantly clear in the FAR's that flying the aircraft requires a Glider rating and self-launch endorsement. Period, full stop.

Last edited:
Back