• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Airfoil choices . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomebuSS

Hello,

I've been watching for a while, have done some searches, and would now like suggestions for an airfoil.

I'm considering building something like a Strojnik S2A. The S2 uses the Wortmann FX 67-170/17, which appears to be a fairly standard all around airfoil that's been around some 30+ years.

I am concerned about the need to be very precise with laminar airfoils and this one in particular.

I'm looking for an airfoil that will tolerate a little lack of precision.

These are my priorities and areas for trade off:

Some toleration of imprecision in constructing the actual wing/airfoil

Good L/D as everyone

Low sink rate

Good lift in poor conditions

A slow stall speed (I know that this usually involves more wing area)

A smooth stall

Stability and lack of pitching

Top speed--willing to sacrifice in this area while wanting to maintain reasonable penetration as the conditions where I would fly are often windy.

Something not too exotic, that is something for which the profile coordinates are easy to find.

A while ago there was an article where Udo Rumf did some modifications on the same airfoil in an HP-18 believing that the FX 67 required too much precision to obtain its best performance--he modified the FX 67 to a [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+1]Marsden's UAG88-143[/SIZE][/FONT]

SUPER HP-18

I prefer using more wood and fewer composites.

Any suggestions?

Stan S

Back