• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

technical details of 51%

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMillar

Here's something that's been bothering me. The "major portion" / 51% rule has certainly been discussed a great deal in aviation circles, but I still don't know, how far can you push the rules. Tools are what I'm thinking of now.

Say you need a custom tool to build an aircraft. I think Zenith wants you to use a special nose for a rivet puller, so let's use that example. If the company lent you the tool, there would be no question, obviously, that any work you do with it is still yours.

If you need a jig for welding tubes, or if it's a composite aircraft that needs molds, I assume that you can rent, borrow, or buy the tooling from someone - since it's not part of the aircraft itself, you can't argue it's detracting from your contribution. Similarly, I assume that nothing prevents the kit manufacturer from renting out (or simply letting you use) their space. So you could layup their kit into their molds in their building, and you haven't changed the amount of work you do.

Now, imagine you're really rich, and you want to build your airplane by buying a CNC tape layer. No problem there, you still do it all, right? Ok, one step further. Can you build your airplane in someone's factory, by pushing the button to lay tape over their molds, using their winder? Sounds like it should be "no!" -- why? What's the line?

*I realize that even if all the parts are laid up by machine, etc., there's still a tremendous amount of work involved in putting together the aircraft. But, would those parts count as things you built, when you are tallying up the division of the construction?

Back