• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Question about tubing size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoomzoooie

Hi, I'm new here.

I have been working on designing a cub style ultralight under the Canadian ultralight regulations, something like the N-3 Pup, only more suited to bush flying.

I have a few questions about tubing sizes for one and 2 seat welded tube ultralight and kit aircraft.
First is 5/8" dia x .049 4130 used most often? The reason I ask is because I was once told that I should use 3/4" x .035 4130 because it makes a stronger and lighter airframe. I need to keep the airframe as light, strong and affordable as possible to allow for a four stroke engine with more power (80-100hp) for better performance and reliability. A single seat basic UL in Canada can have a launch weight up to 364lbs and 430lbs for a two seater, this includes fuel.
Second, what is your opinion and facts about using 3/4" x .035 4130 tubing instead of 5/8"?

Back