• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Need Some general info on building a heli

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ULH-1

First of all Hi Im new on these forums. I have wanted to build a heli for quite some time however they can be pretty expensive and complicated to build. However I recently thought of a way to use a vertical shaft engine in a very simple engine layout for the main rotors which suddenly makes the whole thing alot more simple to build. There are still some details of the construction that Im in the dark on. I need to know how fast the Main rotor blades will have to spin to determine the gearing. From what I have researched its like 1k-2k rpm's but I dont know if this is right.(by the way the empty weight of the heli will be around 150 lbs) Another thing I need to know is what sort of bearing do you use for the main rotor shaft that has to take the weight of the heli and pilot, I was thinking of using a TOB from a car because they regularly handle thousands of pounds of pressure. Also what size shaft? I was planning on a 1". Another thing I need to know is the details on the main rotor assembly I cant get a good look at how the rotors are linked to the shaft in any pictures, If sombody had som plans just for the rotor assembly that would be everyhing I need right there.
Ok one last thing I need to know, I plan to build the main rotors myself from fiberglass and I need some info on how it is done.

Any info or plans on any of these topics would be extremely helpful to me because once I figure these things out I think I could build this thing in a matter of weeks if I can find the right engines (by the way my design uses 2 engines) The desgn is very simple, if anybody is curious about it Ill try to draw some picures of how it will work. thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Back