Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us what you are building!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tell us what you are building!

Greetings folks,

I thought it might be nice to have a single thread to hear what HBA members are currently building. Even if you have already mentioned your project elsewhere on the forum, PLEASE post a little something about your project here in this thread. It can be as detailed or as brief as you like. Photos, links to company info, unique features, motivations for building, etc are all welcome and encouraged though.

Just a couple of ground rules:

1. This thread isn't mean to take the place of a proper introduction thread you would start here. Each member is encouraged to start a seperate introduction thread so we can learn more about you and welcome you properly! I'd like to keep this thread focused on the projects themselves.

2. If you have moved past the "back of the napkin" stage and are seriously designing an aircraft, we would like to hear about that too.

3. If a particular post starts to accumulate a lot of questions or replies, I might copy the original post to its own thread and move the replies into that thread so we can have a full blown discussion of the project elsewhere. This should help keep this thread from getting too clogged up with discussion about one particular project. If I do this I'll put a link to the new thread into the original post so folks will know where the discussion has moved to.

4. If you have already finished your plane, please, please, PLEASE post a thread in the Completions forum. Trust me, we want to know about it and it deserves very special attention in its own thread. I'm sure I'm not the only one whose favorite section of Sport Aviation or Kitplanes Magazine is the completions section.

Anyway, that's about it. I can't wait to see what this thread produces!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Tell us what you are building!

Volmer Jensen Vj-22 Amphibian - Plans building - working on the wings first.

Hope mine looks as good as this one.
    Skeeter_ca
    aka. Darrell W.
    President - Volmer Club of America

A goal without a plan is just a dream (Bill Husa, Orion)

I strive to have my plane i'm building look as good as my avatar, which is Dan Dubois's fine example.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This would be a good sticky somewhere so everyone could quickly review what others are doing. The poster of thier project could occasionally add major completion updates on the same post.
    Skeeter_ca
    aka. Darrell W.
    President - Volmer Club of America

A goal without a plan is just a dream (Bill Husa, Orion)

I strive to have my plane i'm building look as good as my avatar, which is Dan Dubois's fine example.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This would be a good sticky somewhere so everyone could quickly review what others are doing.
    Will do.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, I’m building the next “Parasol”.
    Although I’m not “really” heavy or big, my bird is designed in the first place for the “taller” pilot.
    Second goal is to fly as cheep as possible. Folding wings and 4-stroke power is the answer for avoiding hangar fees and excessive fuel costs. I’m aware that a 25HP 4-stroke (-non industrial) engine is hard to find and a solution could be the Citroen air-cooled flat2.
    The engine needs to develop 27HP and must weight no more than 30 kg. (yes– Rotax277 specs)
    Direct drive is desired but maybe not achievable… I will see when I get there.
    Plans and material are ‘metric-system’ based, sorry to say, used in 95% of the world.
    Airframe and wings are made of aluminum, foam and fabric.
    As 80% of the drawings are finished, it looks like ‘part103/SSDR’ class is in range.
    If everything goes well (this never happens) the plane could fly this summer powered by a
    Rotax277 for the time being. I expect an extra year to terminate the modified 4-stroke.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CH-801.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	10721

We're building a Zenith CH-801. It's a 4 seat, tricycle gear, all aluminum (6061 T6), Short Takeoff and Landing (STOL) aircraft that uses Avex pull rivets in its assembly. It's ugly and slow but it will haul a load in and out of some tight spaces. My family and I are building it to donate to a Mission / Aid organization when it's complete and as such we needed something that would do a job but do it at a reasonable cost. There are some, arguably, better STOL designs out there but this one we felt we could afford to finish.

Here are some links for more information:

My build thread here on HBA
    The Zenith CH-801 page
    CH-801 builders manuals and drawings

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok guys.... I know you are humble but please, lets hear what you are building. I know that many of you have already mentioned your projects elsewhere on the forums. Even so, adding your project here will help make a consolidated list for new HBA members to know what kinds of projects are in the works here. Even if it's just a short blurb, it will really help. PLEASE don't make me beg...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Name:	44774_466226876557_696636557_6919769_2210285_n.jpg 
Views:	1001 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	10868

This is what I am starting with. It is what is left of a PA-18 that went through a de-fueling fire. I have a fuselage jig available to fill in the tail section. I have a 0-320 160 HP engine less the crankshaft for power. Figured on building my own wings from a pile of ribs I got from a different cub project that got all new ribs.

Brian.

ps....the wings in the background are from a BC12-D Taylorcraft.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mine is a medium-performance sailplane. The goal is to somewhat better the performance of an SGS 1-26, while meeting some extraordinary storage-space and build-space requirements. In short, I have a one-car garage and that garage needs to continue to hold a car (1973 Porsche 914) while it also stores an airplane. The storage space looks like this:

Name:	storage_space.jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	10869

The green-shaded area is available for storing wings, while the blue-shaded area was one of the possible volumes available for storing a fuselage.

The airplane currently looks like this:

Name:	124.jpg 
Views:	597 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	10870

I've progressed through conceptual design and have stability and control/trim analyses done for all three axes. The airplane is to be built of Rutan-style solid-core foam and fiberglass. I haven't done a lot of structural work yet, so I only have a baseline structural design and that the skins, bulkheads, and webs are all E-glass, while the caps are likely to be S-glass UNI tapes. The wings are removable for trailering. Landing gear is a single main wheel, forward skid, and skids for the wingtips and tail. There are no flaps (the inboard surfaces you see are the elevators), and there are mid-span drag brakes for glideslope control.

Estimated performance is:

L/D: 25:1 @ 53mph
    Minimum sink: 163fpm (0.83 m/s) @ 40 mph

So, as you can see it's a bit of a 'floater', designed for weak-lift days and ridge soaring, not cross-country speed or range.

Stall speed is 36 mph with the design (175 lbs.) pilot.

Span is 41 feet, wing area is 133 square feet, taper ratio is 0.5, and the aspect ratio is 12.6.

In addition to this project, I've got some early work done on a 'touring' two-seat motorglider of higher performance, but I don't have anything ready to show on that.

If you'd like to see the evolution of my design from its earliest beginnings, please see my photo album here.
    Last edited by Topaz; February 13th, 2011 at 05:06 PM.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry David Thoreau

Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Osprey II amphibian. Just starting on the fuselage.
    Building: Osprey-II

Pretty much homeless. My location varies from SW Asia to SE U.S.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Been playing with building a Mitchell Wing U-2. Got the aft ribs completed last fall. Next up will probably be the metal parts and then maybe build the rudders. If I can swing the space, I'll consider building the stabilators. At that point, I'll have to make a decision. Most of the smaller parts will be built, so I'll have to decide where to do the final assembly. Will I do it in Africa where I should have plenty of time and possibly space, or send all the parts back to the US where I don't really have a place to build, but can probably swing it.

Lot's of logistical hoops to jump through if I build it in Africa.
    Standby for new witty signature.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm building a Star-Lite. It is the single seat predecessor to the Pulsar.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm starting my second Sonex (the first was sold sold due to lack of storage options) with some minor modifications to the turtle deck and tail feathers. The turtle deck modification consists of changing the single arc to a "D" shape for more headroom. The tail feather modifications eliminate the fiberglass tip extensions with a comparable extension of the spars and skin. I like the simplicity of it. It's more than likely going to be powered by a VW, but the jury's still out on that. When I get some pictures I'll post them somewhere.

Dave

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Tell us what you are building! A picture story

Saw a video of this:

Name:	voyeurger-albums-my-aviatin-life-picture10759-hoverwing.jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	10878
    Couldn't afford the $30K to buy one so I bought this:

Name:	voyeurger-albums-my-aviatin-life-picture10761-hover-mine.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	10879
    And this:

Name:	voyeurger-albums-my-aviatin-life-picture10772-ea-82-belts.jpg 
Views:	529 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	10881
    It was to have folding wings and be the poor man's answer to simple flight.
    I'll not name names (hint for astronomers, it's in the sky and has a belt), but, a very learned member here convinced me that (I paraphrase), "It would be a death machine". Sold the hovercraft for exactly what I paid for it (less the cost of the 3,800 mile roundtrip drive to pick it up)
    So, casting about, I found this on E-Bay:

Name:	voyeurger-albums-my-aviatin-life-picture10763-falconar-teal-idea.jpg 
Views:	1316 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	10882
    Only $4K, all flight and control surfaces complete, came with TWO engines. Problem; It was in Maine, I'm in California. So, spent another $5K getting it here;

Name:	voyeurger-albums-my-aviatin-life-picture10762-loading-teal.jpg 
Views:	596 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	10883
    Her is JJ Baker from the Seaplane Forum helping to load the trailer in Maine (where he lives).
    Got all pieces of the new project here and discovered to my chagrin, that the plane took ten minutes or so to get into (I didn't bother timing the egress). Could never abide such a thing.
    Selling kit (hopefully).
    While casting about I found someone who would trade this:

Name:	voyeurger-albums-my-aviatin-life-picture10758-my-trainer.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	10886
    For this:

Name:	voyeurger-albums-my-aviatin-life-picture10760-healey-traded.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	10887
    Did the trade, so have something to train up in. Training as often as I am allowed.

Casting about again for a good fit (literally), came across a post hereabouts from the devil himself, Alan Waters, who "claimed" to be posting toward resolving trike vs. taildragger stuff, BUT, was secretly mind-bending the susceptible toward building Bearhawks. It took me an hour of following Alan's (not too hidden) links before I succumbed and bought a set of the Bearhawk plans:

Name:	voyeurger-albums-my-aviatin-life-picture10756-bearhawk-phase-1.jpg 
Views:	809 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	10885
    Found through another post here, a guy who changed his build on a Bearhawk from scratch to factory assembled wings and bought his completed ribs and spars (he's crating them as this is being written). Believe I've finally found "home". This is what I hope to end up with:

Name:	voyeurger-albums-my-aviatin-life-picture10827-bearhawk.jpg 
Views:	1136 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	10888
    Pray for me.
    Voyeurger
    "Spitting In The Eye of Doubt"

Registered User WonderousMountain's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Busy month. Why not just cut out a bigger hole for egress?