Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us what you are building!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Tell us what you are building!

Hi,

New Member here, my name is Tim, I have been building a Sonerai IILT (Low wing, tri-gear) for about 3 1/2 years now. At the covering stage now. Volkswagen powered, could be flying in about a year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120304_113237 (Copy).jpg 
Views:	1636 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	17067

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome, Tim! I always like the Sonarai series. Glad to see another example coming together. Please post more about your aircraft, if you would. I think the type needs more exposure these days - could be a very viable option for someone looking for a low-cost plans-built.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry David Thoreau

Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

a small 10 foot long manned glider- plane called the G-1a or the "Adder". it will be made out of Styrofoam (to save weight) with some pipes stuck in the fuselage and wings for rigidity, and will be covered in some sort of hard shell. simplicity is my main goal. the aircraft can be launched on its own or by another aircraft, a "multi-role" aircraft if you will. it will hopefully be able to fly loads in excess of 150 lbs. it will have NO mechanical instruments, but a compass, and an artificial horizon, as well as a control stick and maybe an on-board camera mounted in the nose, or the fuselage. not intended for high altitudes, or long flights, the plane will not require a parachute, and the seat will be cut out from the aircraft body, and will have only a small, but sufficient, amount of upholstering. the plane will not require any landing gear of any kind, due to the fact that it will be mounted on a trolley for takeoff, that will not leave the ground with the airplane. the plane will land on skids, on soft surfaces like grass, sand, soil, etc.

the adder
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adder.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	17176  

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi,
    STILL sanding the Razorback plug. Have just discovered that the spay foam I used to fill in the gap between the tail and the fuse has forced the taill off-centre. Can you believe it? I only used the spray foam to fill in the surface. But the tail is definitely skew. I had the plane out in the open yesterday, set up the lasers, plumblines and employed old-fashioned eyeballs. Definitely about half an inch skewed to the left.

So I had no option but to cut the tail off (3rd time now...) and start again. This time, spray foam won't even be allowed in the workshop!

Sigh...

The good news however, is that the Valley Engineering 50hp Big Twin arrives in about 2 weeks. Then I'll be able to finalise the cowl.

Regards,
    Duncan
    ====================
    Brisbane, Australia

AeroMax Builder's Log
    http://rtfmforum.com/index.php?topic=11.0

SkyGEM Builder's Log
    http://rtfm-aero.com/blog-builders-log/

SkyGEM discussion thread
    http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26725

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glastar #5788. Finishing an abandoned airframe project. About 60% complete Planning to go with an IO-360 and either a CS or Ground Adjustable prop. Too soon to talk avionics. Probably be all iPads by the time she flies!
    Paul Catterson
    Denver, CO
    Glastar #5788

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi guys, I'm new here. I am rebuilding my old j3 kitten U/L for the second time. This one is a major redesign and update. I've run the numbers on the new wing and power plant and things look good. Carbon composite wing using a Riblett airfoil, same construction for struts,doors,cowling,cabintop,ect. I plan to use an Aixro XR50 wankel thru a rotax "B" box into a 66" warp drive prop. The expected weight saving is just under 75 lbs. with a 100% increase in wing strength and 35% more power. Ohboy! this could mean brakes,"real"landing gear,flight instruments, gascolator,.......... and still make weight!

Registered User Head in the clouds's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi all. I discovered this thread just a short while back and it prompted me to get on with getting my build thread up and running, even if a bit late! Anyway at least there's more to show of it now than when I started.

So here's the intro, for those who haven't seen it elsewhere.

It's my own design two seat side by side, a bit squeezy to keep the brick wall in front of the pusher prop as narrow as possible. The taildragger gear retracts forwards into the leading edge and the wings double fold to fit into a trailer or to be able to use a shipping container as a hangar. It's designed to fit into our homebuilt LSA category.

I modelled all the components of the plane in AutoCAD so was able to have some of the initial primary structure items cut by CNC router and I also got the wing rib blanks and dies cut by laser.

Other than that it's been a case of printing out views of the components from the model, trace them onto the material and lots of bandsawing, snipping and drilling. For those who haven't built yet, a plane consists of half a million holes held together with aly, bolts and rivets.

It's not the prettiest but that's the penalty I've had to pay for some of its other benefits. Here are three views of the model, then I'll continue the story on a new thread - it'll be called 'AussieMozzie' in the Hangar Flying area.

Name:	5457-2.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	18839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5457-1.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	18840Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5457-3.jpeg 
Views:	316 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	18841

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not just aesthetically speaking, but it might be structurally advantageous to go for twin fins/rudders attached to the tail booms rather than the middle of the tailplane.
    "Aeronautical engineering is highly educated guessing, worked out to five decimal places. Fred Lindsley, Airspeed."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PTAirco View Post
    Not just aesthetically speaking, but it might be structurally advantageous to go for twin fins/rudders attached to the tail booms rather than the middle of the tailplane.
    Thanks PTA, actually that's how it started out but I didn't want twin tailwheels so I had to have one wheel in the centre, then the stab spar would have taken all the tailwheel loads. I didn't like that so I considered a pair of compression struts from the top of each fin to the centre of the stab spar. That didn't properly resolve anything though because it relied on the rigidity of the fins when the stab spar tried to bend upwards. So I went for a much larger central fin in the centre with tension struts to the ends of the tailbooms (which don't show in the images).

If I have a problem with directional wandering in level flight or fin masking by the idling prop, on final for example, I may have to add small fixed fins at the end of each tailboom.
    Last edited by Head in the clouds; July 21st, 2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: clarification

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Clouds,

You do realise that Aircar may think it is a good start for a roadable don't you?

Beware he may be on the doorstep soon

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mate, You're right in many ways and Ross and I have discussed this at length, we've known each other for about 30yrs now. But this is roadable in terms of width and height only but won't fit the dream in terms of manoeuvring in town. I have plans for the delta (my avatar) as a flying car but it needs much more work in the aerodynamics where I hope for a design session with Aircar who is eons above me intellectually and in aeronautical knowledge

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool,

I love the look of the avatar. Has some echos of Facet Opal, and that is a good thing.

Eons ahead he may be, but damn both you guys left me behind at the Big Bang.

You guys are running, I am still learning to crawl and breath at the same time.

I hope to leave the primordial soup when I grow up, then maybe have some real legs, then feathers...............

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi,
    The Razorback is undergoing many coats of spray putty (a high-build, quick drying sanding coat). Most of the imperfections are starting to disappear. Now have to concentrate on the recess around the canopy, which is proving very time-consuming.

Regards,
    Duncan
    ====================
    Brisbane, Australia

AeroMax Builder's Log

SkyGEM Builder's Log

SkyGEM discussion thread

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Concurrent with the Razorback, I'm building the Profile proof of concept - which is basically a 4-inch sheet of blue foam cut into the profile of the Razorback. Busy with bonding in the hard points at the moment. I've cut the tail section off so that I can attach the airfoil templates and shape it. Then I'll bond it back onto the rest of the profile, and fair it into the tail.

Duncan
    ====================
    Brisbane, Australia

AeroMax Builder's Log

SkyGEM Builder's Log

SkyGEM discussion thread

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Head in the clouds View Post

Name:	18839-tell-us-what-you-building-5457-2.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	18895
    Name:  18840d1331528604t-tell-us-what-you-building-5457-1.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  4.4 KB
    Name:  18841d1331528602t-tell-us-what-you-building-5457-3.jpeg
Views: 848
Size:  4.0 KB
    I found a pre-built fuselage for you... should save you lots of time:

Name:	Teardrop.png 
Views:	385 
Size:	341.6 KB 
ID:	18894

(No disrespect intended. I saw the photos of your metalwork in your other thread... very nice!)

16. Likes Head in the clouds, litespeed liked this post