Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us what you are building!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Tell us what you are building!

I am building a one-off, two seat, side by side, low wing composite.
    Wing span 32'. Engine will be in the 100 hp range. 1400 gross weight +-
    Name:  One-Off.JPG
Views: 1712
Size:  2.9 KB
    --+-Ө-+--
    Mark

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

im building a cantilever low mid wing all wood volksplane vp-2 derivative.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WonderousMountain View Post
    Busy month. Why not just cut out a bigger hole for egress?
    Being as it's a watercraft, there's no room to do so unless the wing attachments are moved. Not going there. I'm 6'5". A "normal" person should be fine.
    Voyeurger
    "Spitting In The Eye of Doubt"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a turbocharged Mazda 20B engine I've completely rebuilt sitting on a test stand. As soon as I get it started and tuned I'll be testing a custom (already completed) carbon fiber shaft and a (nearly completed) wood/fiberglass 15 blade fan for vibration and resonance issues. If noting insurmountable manifests itself I plan to install them in a mostly wood airframe jet look alike DF design. At normal operating weight I'm anticipating a wing loading of about 25 lbs/ft^2 and a power loading of just over 4 lbs/HP.

If the fan/shaft doesn't work out I'll be looking toward a pusher design, probably a low AR/delta type of layout.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 325.jpg 
Views:	1721 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	11073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rtmous3.jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	11072The projects are,Sky shark,Rotormoues,& tandem (Cobra)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	papa 2 008.jpg 
Views:	1121 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	11071

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am considering building a gyocopter. I have rotary wing experience in the Army.
    Nice profile pic Jman. I flew OH-58 scouts!!!!!!!
    If anyone has any info on engines other than rotax 440 let me know.
    I would like to find a rotary style like they use on para-gliders. Less weight, maintenance, fuel consumption, and vibration.
    Are they more $$ than the rotax?
    The design plans are called the hornet. They did a really nice job in the design, there were a few mistakes in the plans though, missing material data, a few measurements....but a good design.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am in the process of designing a P-38 lightning replica. I'm no engineer of any sorts, so I'm putting my plans on paper and enlisting the help of a systems engineer friend of mine to monitor my plans for safety and logic in design. I'll have to find and hire an aero engineer to design the vital aspects of my airplane such as the airfoil, angle of incidence, and make any changes to my basic designs as needed. I'm a bodyman (for autos and motorcycles) so welding and building things comes naturally to me, which is why I've decided to build a tubular airframe and shape the aircraft with foam and a fiberglass skin to smooth out the lines. I'm also designing it as a tandem 2-place for a couple of reasons. First to make it a more usable airplane, and second, to be able to fly my mom in it as she's a P-38 fan from growing up as the daughter of a P-38 fighter pilot. This project is my way of growing closer to my grandfather who flew this fighter for our nation. Plus I'll get a pretty darn cool aircraft to enjoy. I'm hoping to start the airframe construction this coming fall after I earn my PPL. I'll be posting up lots of pictures as well as the details on how I'm doing it all in the project logs section once I get it going.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still in the dreaming stage. I was one inch away from going with a Sonex, but then the deal for my C-150 fell into my lap so I opted to fly for a while before building. I know its only a 150 but its a way to be able to fly whenever I want, and fairly cheaply.

So for now I'm going to fly the 150 and keep my eyes and ears open to the progress of the Sonex Onex. That little plane has got great potential IMO. I love the Corsair style folding wings. Its only drawback is its a single place plane but I guess I could live with that. By the time I build one, my kids will be old enough and will hopefully have their own pilot's license,so I could let them enjoy it as well.

I've also heard some talk that David Thatcher is in the process if designing a 2 place tandem cockpit CX-4, which will be calle the CX-5. I can't wait to see that one. If he does get a two seat version of hisCX-4 in the air I wil ldefinitely consider that one as well. I like the Thatcher's design better than the Sonex, but the Sonex has the advantage of the folding wing so it will come down to which is the better value for my money.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I shouldn't be posting here, as I'm not building anything yet (I'm still pre-solo on my PPL). But right now I'm on the fence between the Sonex and the soon-to-be Thatcher CX5.
    I think that means I really need to define my mission, specifically: Is acro important to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
    I like the Thatcher's design better than the Sonex, but the Sonex has the advantage of the folding wing so it will come down to which is the better value for my money.
    Nick, I'm new to the CX4/ CX5 world, so I'm still learning about the design. The CX4 has a very nice design that will allow for a folding wing. It's an external bracket that you attach after landing on either the main or the rear spar (depending on whether you want the wing to pivot so the LE is up or down). Then, remove the bolts through the spar caps, slide the wing out, pivot and stow alongside the fuselage on external cradles (also attached after landing). It can be done by one person. In my opinion it is a nicer system than the Onex--it's much easier to trailer than the Onex method (no wing panels up 7 feet in the air, little side wind load on the wing, etc. ). I hope this feature is included from the start with the new two-seat CX5, but things will be more complicated there (since that aircraft has flaps and has fuel in the wings).
    Here's a picture of Dave Thatcher's plane with the wing folded. It shows the bracket attached to the main spar, so the wing folds with the LE down.
    Last edited by Vigilant1; March 24th, 2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Clarified wing fold design for CX4

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am working on a two place gull wing sea plane of my own design. It will have retractable gear, twin tail booms and folding wings. Should weigh in at 620lbs with a 550lb payload, cruise about 140mph with a 400 mile range. I built this plane once and lost her in a hanger fire. May bring it to market one day. Oh she will also be light aerobatic.......

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by parkert51 View Post
    I am working on a two place gull wing sea plane of my own design. It will have retractable gear, twin tail booms and folding wings. Should weigh in at 620lbs with a 550lb payload, cruise about 140mph with a 400 mile range. I built this plane once and lost her in a hanger fire. May bring it to market one day. Oh she will also be light aerobatic.......

Could we see some sketches? Sounds interesting.
    "Aeronautical engineering is highly educated guessing, worked out to five decimal places. Fred Lindsley, Airspeed."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Three projects going:

Avid Flyer Mk4, engine choice undecided. Built from kit, 80% done, 95% to go.

Starduster Too, Franklin O-425 engine (240-260 HP), 93" Aeromatic Prop, 24V system. Restoring to flightworthy condition.

Stits SA-6 Flut-R-Bug, Continental A65. Built by Art Scholl, initial sign-off by Ladislao Pazmany. Restoring to flightworthy condition.

Pics later.

Bruce

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Building a CA-65 Skyfly. The Fuse is pretty much ready for systems installation. I have a Corvair engine in pieces that I plan on using. I began building back in Ohio then moved to New Mexico when the fuse was travel ready, that was two years ago and I havent been able to do much on it since, I miss my shop. I would have probably started back in on it sooner but life was happening, its coming back into the forefront of my thinking again and I need to get the wings going.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PTAirco View Post
    Could we see some sketches? Sounds interesting.

Sure, will get my scanner set up and see what I can do!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm building a Durand Mk. V.
    Just completed the two lower wing panels. The spars and ribs of the upper panels are assembled and ready for skinning.
    I previously built a Glastar with 12 other fellows which I flew and flight tested last year. The ship has since been sold.
    Prior to that, I and another fellow bought a partially built Variviggen which we completed and flew. The 'Viggen was of wood and composite construction. The metal work on the Glastar was a breeze. The Durand is all metal with an excellent set of plans but is entirely scratch built. Boy, I'm getting a great education on sheetmetal fabrication.

The project was previously a schoolflight project in Sommerville Ma. The students did excellent work on the ribs and spars. The project laid in limbo after the shop instructer retired and I bought it from the project's patron.

I'd be interested in swapping notes with other Durand builders and flyers. I live in Massachussetts and would dearly love to visit other builders and flyers east of the Mississippi if possible.