Thread: Announcement - A new way to help support HBA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Announcement - A new way to help support HBA

As many of you know, Iíve been reluctant to accept help with the operating costs associated with running this website. Many members have asked about it over the last eight years but I just could not bring myself to do it. However, it has become apparent that if HBA is to continue to grow and improve, it will have to become a member supported endeavor.

Although Supporting HBA is 100% voluntary there are some people who should not consider donating.

• HBA Moderators. These guys work very hard to make HBA a friendly place to be. We thank you for that.
    • Anyone currently struggling with unemployment.
    • Anyone who's primary job is saving lives. (first responders). I sincerely appreciate what you do!

For more details about why HBA could use your support, check out the donation page.

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and support. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Jake Crause
    HBAhelp@gmail.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Announcement - A new way to help support HBA

GREAT idea.
    Good call on the moderators also.
    Voyeurger
    "Spitting In The Eye of Doubt"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First off, thanks to those who have become HBA supporters. It's very much appreciated!

Since the contribute button was added a few days ago, I've received quite a bit of feedback on the subject. I appreciate that and it has helped me to see things a little more clearly. It has helped me to realize that I may have been making things more difficult on myself then they needed to be. I'm new at this so please bear with me.

Anyway, I've updated the donation page to reflect my thoughts in light of those critiques and suggestions. I appreciate your patience and understanding. Now back to your regular programming.....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd like to thank those members who have stepped up to the plate to help fund HBA. It's been fairly successful and has provided about half of the operating costs since we started the donation system. My family and I appreciate it very much.

One downside to the voluntary donation system is that a small number of highly motivated members end up carrying the lion's share of the financial burden. To those folks I say thanks for the support and your vote of confidence. To the rest of the membership I'd like to humbly ask again for your support. Please don't do so if it's a hardship in any way. But if you get something out of the website and you feel you can spare some support, I would really appreciate it.

Anyway, enough said. Thanks for listening.

Jake

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great Call, the mods here are great guys. We would be interested in placing an HBA banner on our sites and support goes without saying. If you have an interest in the banner let us know.
    http://thunderaviationengines.comThunder Aviation 618-638-5554

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First off i'd like to say i am a donator here but it's not much. I have 5 bucks taken out of my checking account every month to support HBA. I don't have alot to give but am happy to give it to such a great site. It comes out automatically so i never even notice until i get a nice thank you from Belle every month. It is such a small amount that it doesn't seem like it could do much good but the more people that give small amounts the more it adds up to keep this great site from the evil banner adds. I am sure that Jake must gets offers to hang banners on HBA and i commend him on keeping it free from the Dark Side. So you don't have to dig deep, just anything will do.
    Skeeter_ca
    aka. Darrell W.
    President - Volmer Club of America

A goal without a plan is just a dream (Bill Husa, Orion)

I strive to have my plane i'm building look as good as my avatar, which is Dan Dubois's fine example.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Personally, I think a few banner ads would be just fine. I would hate to see a bunch but a few is fine. You can set banner ads to rotate as you see on barnstormers so the number could be as little as 1 per page and it would change each time you view the page.

Tom
    http://thunderaviationengines.comThunder Aviation 618-638-5554

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am very grateful for the donations. It has helped to fund some software upgrades and a portion of the operating costs. It has been humbling to know that folks think enough about HBA to consider investing in it.

The first 3 months or so of this year were promising and all expenses were nearly covered my the donations we received. But, after those initial donations, it has tapered off to about 20% of what is needed to cover the fixed costs each month. Skeeter, you and a few others who support each month make up the lion's share of that, and then there are the occasional one-time donors who put it up all at once. That being said, to be honest, I have been considering advertisements as a way to bridge the gap and there is a good chance we may move in that direction at some point. Like any sane person on a budget, my goal is for HBA to eventually become self sufficient. It doesn't look like the donation system is going to take us all the way there.

*Very Important* I want to point out that Skeeter, or any other HBA contributer for that matter, will never have to look at a single advertisement. He, and others like him, have stepped up to help out and therefore should have the choice to veiw ads or not. Visitors and other members who are not able to support HBA financially can support HBA by seeing some homebuilding related advertisements. What I want to avoid is a very small percentage of folks having to make large sacrifices to keep HBA growing. Some people can support by a donation, some can support by viewing advertisements.

Here are a few of my ideas:

1. Members who support HBA financially, or in other yet to be determined ways, will have the choice to see ads or not.
    2. No moving or flashing ads.
    3. Only aviation related ads (preferably experimental aviation).
    4. Some type of standards for the reputation of the vendors allowed to advertise on HBA.

Anyway, I'm trying to be as honest and upfront as possible. I'm open to hearing what you guys have to say on the subject. If there is a lot of response, I may move the discussion to it's own thread.

Jake

Ps. Please disregard my grammar. I'm writing this on my cell phone with my thumbs!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As long as the ads are not garish and are on topic, then I wouldn't mind them as long as they don't detract from the discussion. If it can be done without distracting from the forums - and I think it can be done, judging from what I've seen on a few other forums - then I think it would be fine. Done right, I guess it could make things even better.

A book store would be pretty cool, too.
    Say, did I ever tell you guys my hummus joke?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow, that's alot of thumbing! I wouldn't mind an add or two, but some of these websites are horrible with flashing adds on top and the sides. It would be cool to be able to turn off the adds to because my home DSL is very slow.
    Skeeter_ca
    aka. Darrell W.
    President - Volmer Club of America

A goal without a plan is just a dream (Bill Husa, Orion)

I strive to have my plane i'm building look as good as my avatar, which is Dan Dubois's fine example.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure if this would be the correct thread to post under; However, it would be awesome if this website forum could develop an app for phones to use.

12. Likes Holtzy3 liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could fine members for transgressions of the rules.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lot easier if we all just donate a few dollars a month, than to have to levy fines......just my 2 cents. One cup of coffee at the coffee shop apiece would go a ways.....

15. Likes Head in the clouds, Dieselav8tor liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I derive a great deal of enjoyment from this site and now that I am finally building a plane, I need you guys! I'm in.

17. Likes akwrencher liked this post