• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Gust Loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

In the aluminum spar design thread the subject of gust loads came up. I searched the archives and didn't find much...doesn't mean it's not in there somewhere, but I thought it might be nice to have a good dedicated discussion for future reference.

I did find this thread.

The discussion came up over having fuel in the wing. At the zero fuel condition, the wing loading is less. Of course when you do the limit load calculation the fuel is not a factor since it is in the wing.

When you have zero fuel in the wing, the gust load will be greater.

As I recall, when you develop the flight envelope and the load factors there is a criteria for W/S (wing loading) that determines whether you must consider the gust load at Vc. If W/S is greater than this amount at the zero fuel weight you do not have to consider it because the standard load factor will be greater or equal to the gust load.

Is this correct?

Back