Thread: Volunteer Needed - FAQ thread on Amateur Built Aircraft

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Volunteer Needed - FAQ thread on Amateur Built Aircraft

I'm looking for someone who would like to volunteer to create a thread that will be stickied to the General Experimental Aviation Questions forum. This thread will explain the basic overall process of building an experimental aircraft from the first stages of planning to the maintenance requirements of the finished aircraft. It will answer the most frequently asked questions concerning the types of construction materials, choosing the design, documenting the build, registration and inspection, test flying, and the continued maintenance of the aircraft. It is not intended to include specific how-to information but to answer basic questions that will help new builders make decisions before they start building.

This volunteer must:
    1. Be motivated!
    2. Be very familiar with all aspects of the Amateur Built aircraft rules and regulations and be willing to put that knowledge into a clear and concise introduction to the world of experimental aviation. Writing experience would be helpful but not necessary.
    3. Preferably be a current builder or have successfully built an aircraft in the past.
    4. Be willing to maintain the thread by adding new information and considering suggestions and additions from others.
    5. Be willing to follow a set format that will be used for similar threads on different subject areas throughout the forum.

If you would like to volunteer, please send me a private message containing your experience and any other important information I should know about you. If you have a specific skill that you feel could be used to create a thread in another part of this forum, please feel free volunteer for that too!

If you have comments or suggestions regarding how the thread should be laid out, please post them here in this thread.

Thanks guys!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Volunteer Needed - FAQ thread on Amateur Built Aircraft

Oh, I forgot to mention if this opportunity is not the the right fit for you but you still feel like you want to help, there will be plenty of other chances in the future. Many of them will be appropriate folks of all experience levels.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I moved Gary's suggestion to this thread.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So far no takers but I'm holding out hope that the right individual will come along. I think this particular subject area could use a good FAQ thread.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry Jake.. #'s 2 and 3 leave me out
    Jim

------------------------------------------------
    Express 2000FT (hopeful - Again)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No worries my friend, you do enough as it is!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jake, that is a very responsible job.
    I have a lifelong interest in airplanes, ( am an engineer ) but I always ask the real expert if my experience is not sufficient, one can tell the real expert because he/she gives sensible numerate reasons for the answer.

The Rules written vary from country to country - Europe is just getting it together for safety, UK joining in. Homebuilt rules vary, and change.

Really, each area of airplanes has its own group of experts, and the more one learns, the more one realises how ignorant one is oneself, which is when one really begins to learn.
    Remarks about engineers worry me a bit - an engineer is someone whose calculations are in accordance with the results in the tests, stress, development, test flights, I think.
    But I do like ' bottom lines ', which apply to most subjects in engineering.

In the case of airplanes, one needs to be clear on what a particular airplane is required to do, so its ceiling in adverse atmospheric pressure conditions needs to be born in mind, otherwise it won't get over that mountain.

power - weight - reliability of engines is an on-going concern, some of the math is quite difficult, so hard for those not wired up that way to understand.
    Metallurgy is an area for pit-falls - SN curves are of serious importance.
    Welds need to be appropriately done with the correct rod, by a skilled person, if possible avoided. But checked meticulously for cracks, and NOT put in areas of the structure line where stress is a maximum.

An understanding of what and why flutter occurs and how to avoid it is necessary, again not an easy subject.
    Partial counter-balancing of flying surfaces can be done with the anti-flutter arrangements by geometry, so they can help each other. meticulous care in planning and execution of the build which some people have a genius for is so noticeable on the airfield - or not.

There are members who are expert at just one aspect, or whose approach is useful because it highlights pitfalls, or they have a flair for variety.
    Very few people are all-round experts, partly because engineering and piloting require a slightly different mind-set

I know members don't like math, but it helps make the thing the right dimensions so that the test piece breaks as predicted, and the life tests as predicted - to home in on the right side by means of initial experiment is not a very sound use of time.

Allan

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems like Danielle is sort of on that path already with her Delta Hawk build thread.

9. Likes Streffpilot liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reported