• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

So how hard is it to make your own engine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumanPoweredDesigner

Suppose you take 4 cylinder, cut it up into individual cylinders, and re-arrange them, say, from a V4 for to a straight 4, or you take a 4 small one cylinder engines and cut them up and wield them together to make a low vibration v4 engine for your ultralight.

Just how hard would that be? How fun would it be? I'm really itching to make my own engine, even if it costs a bit, for the same reason people on here like to design and build their own airplanes. I can't fabricate cylinders and seals to the right tolerances, so I'd have to cut up some existing engines. I wonder what my probability of success would be.

I think my best bet would be to start with single cylinders, and structurally connect them and time them right. cutting up an engine block would probably be out of my tool realm. And re-builidng and an engine block would probably have problems if there are internal water ways and such.

Back