• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Was asked a question about sailplanes and experimentals the other day...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieselfume

Was asked a question about sailplanes and experimentals the other day... Prompted by the fact that glider ratings don't require medicals, even motorgliders...

With regard to experimental airworthiness certificates and registration etc, what defines a motorglider (or SLS, self-launching sailplane, or powered sailplane, pick your name) or differentiates it from an Airplane single engine land? Where does that line in the sand get drawn?

So, off I go looking at part 21 and what direction you would go with type certification of a powered sailplane, and ran into some fuzzy references, like 21.23 back in 1981 was about "Issue of type certificate: gliders [(including sailplanes), including
fixed-wing, self-launching (powered) gliders.]
", but now 21.23 simply says "[Reserved.]"

I discover an AC regarding the issue, AC 21.17-2A Type Certification-Fixed Wing Gliders (Sailplanes), Including Powered Gliders. Started reading this and here it seems was some better definition of a sailplane, wingspan vs weight, weight limit of 1874# (850Kg) and max two occupants. However I was looking for something a bit more concrete, like a FAR that says thou shalt...

But that AC also made reference to JAR-22. JAR-22??? Huh? So, off to the EASA website and wow, sure nuff, there's a whole seperate section CS-22 Certification Specifications for Sailplanes and Powered Sailplanes out there.

Quick look back at the FARs, no part 22...

Perhaps all the sailplane enthusiasts already knew much of that, but I was a bit surprised by all that. I guess I'm also not so surprised by the FAA finally getting around to some part 25 updates and AC 25-7A updates to harmonize with JARs from ARAC decisions made back in 1999-02... EASA had their stuff together not long afterward.

Anyway, enough ranting about the FARs and back to experimental. I also stumbled across this website: [FONT=&quot]http://edburkhead.com/Challenger/glider/motorglider1.htm[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Ed describes the situation of another fella, Chuck, that has a Challanger II - registered as a powered glider. He says there are basically no rules regarding requirements for experimental gliders. For example, Space Ship One and Two are registered as gliders experimental amateur (look up N328KF and N339SS in the database). Obviously they don't hardly resemble the criteria from CS-22 and AC 21.17-2A. Hmmm, I wonder what difficulties Scaled composites has ran into for trying to type certificate the SS2 so Virgin Galactic can have revenue flights full of space tourists... (assuming that they are on the hook for doing that with a "spacecraft")
Hmmm, I guess if you are looking to pilot SS2, sounds like a pilot license for aircraft won't cut the mustard, you need a glider rating, and a self-launch endorsement!

He also mentions then you have no 1320# rule, no speed/altitude/night restrictions, can have an adjustable prop or be complex/high performance. Best of all he mentions if you were ever denied a medical, no problem, you don't need one. However, he mentions one caveat -The FAA won't allow that particular aircraft to be registered as another kind of aircraft. If you register your aircraft as a glider, it will always be a glider.

I got to thinking, if you have an experimental amateur built aircraft single engine land, and decided to make a "major change" (just like the big guys, an STC or ATC level of major change) like building a new high aspect ratio wing and installing a feathering prop, would not that be worthy of the FAA entertaining a registration change from Airplane to Glider? I've seen many airplanes and and even recently completed projects for sale that begin or end with "lost medical". Seems like this would be one way to turn that frown upside down. Seems to be very few "motorgliders" out on the market, and at that, some are not cheap.

Whatchya think? Possible?
Anybody know if anyone has ever attempted it?
What would be the potential market for a 40+ ft wingspan with folding tip mod for an RV-4/6/7/8/9? (RV-11 wing?)

Back