• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Certification/pre-cover inspections

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaysmiths

Didn't want to hijack the similar thread, here goes with a new issue:

At least one of the the older AC's from the FAA on certification of amateur built aircraft (AC 20-27a,b,c,d,e,f,and now g) were worded a little different about pre-cover inspections, which previously were recommended but now the wording in AC 20-27G is:

You should be aware that the FAA will not
perform in-process inspections during the construction of your aircraft. Because of this, your documentation needs to indicate in-process inspections by knowledgeable persons such as EAA technical counselors or certificated mechanics. All in-process inspection documentation needs to include dates and names of all person(s) involved.

Of course these are a good idea, that is obvious. My question for someone who has been through the inspection process lately is ARE THEY REQUIRED?

Why the question? I have an extensive background in metal fabrication/construction and have been involved in various mechanical endeavors from hot rodding to racing. In many cases, I've posted question here and on Oshkosh365 and sifted through the answers for those most relevant. I have NOT opted for EAA inspections thus far because the wording I remembered implied they were suggested rather than required.

Thanks much for you time in reading an perhaps shedding light here.

Back