• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Designing the Ideal Replica Warbird Engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radicaldude1234

With all this talk about converting automobile engines with PSRUs and stuff, I'm just seeing if I can apply some of the same principles from those engines into a custom designed one. I'm trying to use as many off the shelf components as possible to minimize cost (because casting/forging/machining parts is super expensive) and time designing new stuff.

These are the parameters that I'm designing to:

1. 1000-1200 HP range (1.5 times that of a 572 Big Block)
2. 60 Degree V-12
3. Single OHC for each bank of cylinders.
4. Supercharged
5. Same Pistons, valves, and crank bearings as a 572
6. Double PSRUs on a single drive shaft
7. ~1000lbs total installation w/ radiator

The pictures below are my first pass at this design. Anything other than the engine block is tentative as I still need to do more research/analysis on their design. Right now, the whole everything shown weighs about 650lbs.

Regarding #6. I'm seeing about putting two PSRU drives on a driveshaft running between the cylinder banks with one on each end, but I'll have to check out how crankshaft torsion is going to affect that. I'm leaning to chain drives at the moment.

I'm learning as I go, so any advice of more than welcome.

So what do you think guys?

Attachments

• 112310_Engine.jpg
    112310_Engine.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 492
  • 112510_CrankPistonsShaft2.jpg
    112510_CrankPistonsShaft2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 439
  • 112510_Everything.jpg
    112510_Everything.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 321
Back