• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

I came here for building help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willzilla

Hi My names Will im from new zealand and I like planes and i want to build one.

I am only 15 but I know I can do it and im not a complete plane noob I just need advice!

I know how i can build most of the plane and make it all work im just not so sure on an engine. I dont know and awful lot about engines but i do know I need something around 50hp probably fro what i want to do (maybe 60). I am starting the long research im going to do on engines and find out what everyone else is using and whats popular etc but mainly I dont have much to spend. I dont want to buy all this band new good quality stuff I would rather go search a salvage place and see what I can find or buy someones old engine that I would be able to use. I can use the metal workshop at school to do things and help get an engine working or something like that with the help from my teacher if thats what I need to do but I dont want to do hard out mods to an engine to get it to be a good plane engine. What sort of engine can I just get, do a few things and fit a propeller and have it ready to put on a airframe? i know it may be harder than that but unless its really hard im going to try my best.

The plane will probably be made out of ply, some other kind of wood and bamboo if I can find some and probably some aluminium. This isnt going to be a nice prefect plane, its just going to be something I made with what I can get that flys. I am going to be designing one and I will probably change small details as I go but I know I can do it and its not going to be THAT hard.

Any advice is good unless you say im too young and that I cant just go building a plane out of stuff I need to be older and go study somewhere and do all this "proper" stuff. I wont listening to that!

Oh and we do have a big garage enough room to build one in parts and quite a few tools and stuff. If I didnt have to worry about an engine it wouldnt be very tricky at all!

Back